How to get gauge needles off?

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So my old speedo had cracked glass and a broken case so I went to the local bike bone yard and was able to get a broken speedo with good glass and two dampener rings for $15. Guy wanted $100 for a used working gauge.

Anyway I was able to get the ring off the gauge but now need to know how I get the needle off and the reset dial on the side so I can swap some parts around?

The old needle should pull straight off. It would be best to have it all ready and twist it to some speed mark from the inside and while holding it there put the new one on in the same postion without letting it go inside. The reason for that is it would be hard to get back in the right place otherwise because the spring has some initial tension on it when it;s at zero.

K I tried to pry the speedo needle off with a screw driver and it was on very, very tight. The gauge I got from the bone yard does not seem to work properly as it takes several seconds to get p to speed and another 5-10 seconds to return to zero when you stop. The working gauge with broken glass is in MPH so I want to switch the face plates as well. I'll try to get it apart tonight. Thanks

^If the speedo or tach have been sitting a long time they can develop drag that make it do what you're describing. After running it awhile they often loosen up and fix themselves. Might take a week or more. So if you're going to keep it anyway, before you take it apart, run it awhile. It's a lot less work! If you do end up taking it apart look for 650skiull's thread on taking it apart with a bent screwdriver. It works.

P.S. Just now noticed the mph/kph difference in the two. If you changed the faces are you sure it would read something meaningful?

Good question, I eye balled it and the mph and Km marks seem to be in the proper spot but I should take another look. Does anyone know if I can swap these two faces? Also since I have the glass off of the Km/h gauge is there anything I can do to facilitate it starting to work again? Should it be oiled or something?

Just wondering if throwing it on the drill press for a bit would be a good idea to get things moving and see ifthis one will work? I'll let someone else help with the fast rubbing.

I took of the glass the other night, tried to lift the needle of, how hard can i pull, and what tools Are best? I am putting on new faces on both...
Need tips and hints

Here's what I did: after removing the whole speedo assembly from the housing I indexed the needle to 10 MPH (you can pick any mark you want) and held it there. With my free hand I used a sharpie marker to draw a line between the faceplate bracket and the magnetic pickup (the large round thing behind the needle). After that you can remove the needle and install a new one any time you want as long as you line up your sharpie marks.

Just my two cents but it worked really well.

^A very good idea. Worth more than 2 cents for sure.

The only tip I would add to what's been said is when you put the cable back, try not to get lube on the highest three or four inches, otherwise it will be inclined to make the square hole round and just slip around in there.

If it has a white neadle its metal,if its orange its plastic & very brittle,be care full,use a long nose pliers & hold trip meter shaft to get knob off,good luck

I had a few bad tachs with the right color needles on them, Ihave a 120 MHP speedo with a broken needle. As irristeve said they are delicate. I broke three getting them off.
I still use the speedo with a broken needle.
Leo

Back