How to lift seat?

Apudliner

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am new the the XS community; I just purchased a 1983 Heritage Special over the weekend. When I release the seat with the latch, it pops up but I cannot lift the seat. I am not sure if the seat is supposed to hinge like other bikes I have had or if it comes completely off at this step. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks and I am excited to be a new owner!
Adam

Hi Adam and welcome,
yes, turn the key in the seat lock, pull the seat lock's lever all the way back and lift the seat clean off.
Sometimes it don't wanna lift.
what can help if it won't lift is to keep holding the lever back and give the rear seat area a hard forearm smash to jar it all the way loose.

The back clamps and the front is held by a bracket that slides into another.
So release the catch , lift the back 8-12 inchs, slide back 3-4 inchs and it should be off.

Thanks for the great advice! I will try it when I get home today. Attached is the best picture I have of it right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20160221_175729274.jpg
    IMG_20160221_175729274.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 242
There's a trick!

Relatch seat, sit on it if you have to, to re-engage the latches. Now; release catch lever at lock, lift at the LEFT rear 'til the seat clears the latch, then pull up to release the RIGHT rear. It has to be released on the left side FIRST.
Now the seat will slide back, off the front catch.
This wasn't by design but that's how all the 81-83 special seats tend to work.

Welcome to XS650.com!

Hi Adam,
nice truck.
About the bike, lose the horrible handlebars, fit a smaller front brake master cylinder and save up for a set of stainless brake lines.
Check the tires' datestamp, old tires'll kill ya because they go all hard and lose their grip even if they still look perfect. Check the carbs to see if the EPA-mandated plugs are still in place over the slow running needle jets. If they are it's likely that those carbs have never been properly cleaned.
It's helpful if you set up a signature line that mentions your bike's year and model.

Back