How-To: Pamcopete 277 Ignition Install

Punkskalar

Hugh's HandBuilt
Reaction score
This is great! The detail is excellent and Hugh's narrative could make it onto the NY Times bestseller list! (Or maybe the "Gearhead Time" if they had a best seller list :thumbsup: )

When I installed the backing plate of the advance assembly, the mark that Hugh painted yellow is not pointing toward 7 o'clock as his does in the picture from his blog post above. Mine is pointing in the direction of 9 o'clock. I tried to get it fired last weekend and I could not retard the timing enough to prevent it from nearly breaking my ankle from the incredibly mean kickbacks. I eventually had to give up after one severly sprained my ankle. After having plenty of time on the couch with an elevated foot this past week, I can only conclude that have the cam one tooth too far advanced when I reassembled it. For those of you who have installed a 277 cam rephased by Hugh, please let me know your thoughts! Do you guys agree?

Jon

Hugh uses a jeg in rewelding,mostly likely the sprocket is off. Best to contact him directly,rather then others speculating what's wrong.

On the Rephased Camshaft, you can verify that you have installed the camshaft properly by setting the #2 cylinder (right hand side, if sitting on the machine) to TDC. Then with the Mechanical Advance removed from the camshaft, the "Dowel" or "Pin" should be at 12:00 or 6:00 - a turn of the crank 360 degrees should verify that you are back to 12:00 if you start with the dowel or pin at 6:00

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

So after nursing my ankle back to nearly new condition, I decided the best approach to making sure the cam was right was to simply re-open the rocker box. I set cylinder #1 at TDC and put the cam chain into place. [/URL][/IMG]. As you can see, the mark on the left side of the cam is not exactly vertical when the #1 cylinder is at TDC.

Then rotated the engine so cylinder #2 was at TDC to check the dowel pin position on the right side and it looks very close to 6 O'Clock [/URL[/IMG]

Next I rotated the crank back to place cylinder #1 at TDC and then checked the indicator on the right side of the cam to see if it was bisected by the deck surface [/URL/[/IMG]. (Remember that TDC on the #1 cylinder has the mark on the left side of the cam slightly off vertical and heading in the direction of 11 O'Clock.

So to get the left side mark on the cam to face 12:00 noon, the indicator on the right side of the cam is slightly below the deck surface. To set the left side of the cam at 12 noon, the #1 cylinder has not yet reached TDC. To bisect the right side indicator with the deck surface the left side mark on the cam is slightly past noon and heading in the direction of 1 O'Clock when viewed from the left side of the engine. This also makes the #1 cylinder come to rest before reaching TDC.

I slipped the cam chain forward one tooth and backward one tooth but both of these exercises exaggerated the condition. This leads me to believe that I have the cam chain on correctly and I am as close to proper timing that I can achieve with this set-up.

What do you guys think? Do the photos look alright? Are things timed correctly? Should the deck surface bisect the right side cam indicator precisely? Is it possible the sprocket is slightly off as noted in one of the posts above?

My ankle won't make through another bout of kick backs!

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_20150525_163247180_zps89wggjkf.jpg
    IMG_20150525_163247180_zps89wggjkf.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20150525_163529960_zpsiqzjp9nl.jpg
    IMG_20150525_163529960_zpsiqzjp9nl.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20150525_163356788_zpsiwqdamkj.jpg
    IMG_20150525_163356788_zpsiwqdamkj.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Your pics show the cam sprocket just a couple degrees advanced, which is fine. The camchain will eventually stretch and the cam timing will be spot on...

If this is the case, do you suggest that I retard the timing as much as possible for the initial kick starting attempts? I have also been considering just attempting to push start it.

Jon

Last edited:
Sure. You can even set the initial idle timing to 0°, just to confirm that it'll run, and save your leg.
Afterwards, of course, set the appropriate timing...

How would I go about confirming the initial idle timing is set at 0 degrees with an electronic ignition? I assume that I would need to use a continuity test somehow with a Pamco ignition.

Jon

alwaysmonday,

Just adjust the plate to the recommended startup position and then use a timing light to set the timing.

Back