How To: Rekey Your Seat Lock

Vlads pic above, that brass plate/tang; like 5twins did, a little tool to fish that back is what releases the lock from the housing.

Yes, even if coming in from the top of the assembly, you still need to slide that last plate in the lock cylinder to release it. But at least now you can look down in the top and observe what you're doing.

The key for the XS650 is a dual edge key so you can insert it either way, but only one edge actually unlocks the lock so you can cut each edge for a different lock so you will only need one key for locks that use different keys.

..... or you could re-work the lock so it can use your existing key. My '78 was missing this seat/helmet lock when I got it. I scrounged one off an XS500 (same exact part). My buddy has lost no fewer than 3 of these off his '80 (he never checks the mounting screws, lol). In all cases I was able to re-key the locks so they work with the existing ignition key.

And speaking of those mounting screws, this is one part on my 650 that I find constantly comes loose, don't know why. I've gotten in the habit of checking the mounting screws any time I'm under the seat. I find them loose all the time.

Back