Survivor Special '79 - 6737km

20230819_172123.jpg
Respect for the Special
I am fortunate enough to have the choice of this '79 Special or a '77 Standard to ride out on, and I have been gravitating to the Special more often.
It feels more responsive to inputs in changing direction and going into corners than my Standard. Of course the bars and seat are not factory and may help as well.
Anyway, it is pictured with shiny new grain storage containers way off in the distance and in front of a field of soy beans. The area around here is almost all cash crop agriculture. Everything from sauce tomatoes to pepper to sugar beets to corn. I see a farmer is going g for a double on so.e fields that had winter wheat harvested in early July and then planted a second crop of beans.
Good to see ambition and personal responsibility.

I'm quite happy with the way my Special rides and handles as well. When I first got it, I swapped on an 18" rear wheel because I'd read they handle better and improve the steering (make it quicker). If it made any difference at all, it wasn't much, lol. The original 16" rear wheel had an almost new Dunlop on it that I wanted to use up so after a month or so, I swapped it back on, and I like it. Having a back to back comparison like this showed me that the 16" rear works fine. It's really no harder to throw into turns, and it rides better, a bit more stable feeling, in straight lines at higher speeds. Also, being designed for it with the angled seat bottom edge and sidecover top edges, I think the bike looks better with the 16" rear wheel.

Another thing is I think the slightly more laid down rear shocks on the Special triangulate better and make for a stiffer set-up. I say this because I've swapped in a TX750 swingarm on both my bikes. On my Standard, it made a real difference, making the bike more stable at all speeds. On the Special, it didn't seem to do much at all, lol. I think that's because the Special was stiffer back there to begin with.

So, I'm keeping the 16" rear wheel. I've even gone so far as to buy a new alloy rim and stainless spokes to rebuild it once the tire wears out. And I've acquired another 16" rear wheel to rebuild as a spare.

I'm quite happy with the way my Special rides and handles as well. When I first got it, I swapped on an 18" rear wheel because I'd read they handle better and improve the steering (make it quicker). If it made any difference at all, it wasn't much, lol. The original 16" rear wheel had an almost new Dunlop on it that I wanted to use up so after a month or so, I swapped it back on, and I like it. Having a back to back comparison like this showed me that the 16" rear works fine. It's really no harder to throw into turns, and it rides better, a bit more stable feeling, in straight lines at higher speeds. Also, being designed for it with the angled seat bottom edge and sidecover top edges, I think the bike looks better with the 16" rear wheel.

Another thing is I think the slightly more laid down rear shocks on the Special triangulate better and make for a stiffer set-up. I say this because I've swapped in a TX750 swingarm on both my bikes. On my Standard, it made a real difference, making the bike more stable at all speeds. On the Special, it didn't seem to do much at all, lol. I think that's because the Special was stiffer back there to begin with.

So, I'm keeping the 16" rear wheel. I've even gone so far as to buy a new alloy rim and stainless spokes to rebuild it once the tire wears out. And I've acquired another 16" rear wheel to rebuild as a spare.
I've always thought it was very clever how the Japanese engineers designed the Special when they changed over from the Standard.

The frame really isnt all that different underneath, specification wise...albeit shock top mounts and frame width under seat is different year to year.

They were more subtle with small changes on the outside that all added up to one big overall change in looks....like I said, its really very clever when you compare the two side by side.

The angle of the badges on the Special tank, the dip of the seat with the step, the 16" rear wheel...the wheel not so subtle but huge change in looks. The wheelbarrow handlebars....well, you get the idea.

As evidenced by this beautiful bike of course: https://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-go-special-to-standard-in-6-easy-steps.64650/

Last edited:
I've always thought it was very clever how the Japanese engineers designed the Special when they changed over from the Standard.

The frame really isnt all that different underneath, specification wise...albeit shock top mounts and frame width under seat is different year to year.

They were more subtle with small changes on the outside that all added up to one big overall change in looks....like I said, its really very clever when you compare the two side by side.

The angle of the badges on the Special tank, the dip of the seat with the step, the 16" rear wheel...not so subtle but huge change in looks. The wheelbarrow handlebars....well, you get the idea.

As evidenced by this beautiful bike of course: https://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-go-special-to-standard-in-6-easy-steps.64650/
I'll add that, looks wise, the '80 was the best/last year with a seat that didn't look like it belonged on a clown car. The huge step up in the back is just silly looking, imho. I know that they were just trying to add to the "cruiser" look, but it missed the mark in my opinion... by a wide margin.

Last edited:
I'll add that, looks wise, the '80 was the best/last year with a seat that didn't look like it belonged on a clown car. The huge step up in the back is just silly looking. I know that they were just trying to add to the "cruiser" look, but it missed the mark in my opinion... by a wide margin.
Agreed...in fact, that reminds me. The crustier of my 80 Specials has a seat I borrowed from my 81 Special II. The 80 had that god-awful sissy bar/hippy tall backed seat (genuine Yamaha accessory) on it when I bought it.

I took the one from the 81 because its getting Street Tracked and seat is in fine shape...but that hump, ugh.

Amazing how difficult it is to find an original 80 seat without second mortgaging the house though.

Last edited:
Agreed...in fact, that reminds me. The crustier of my 80 Specials has a seat I borrowed from my 81 Special II. It had that god-awful sissy bar/hippy tall backed seat (genuine Yamaha accessory) on it when I bought it.

I took the one from the 81 because its getting Street Tracked and seat is in fine shape...but that hump, ugh.

Amazing how difficult it is to find an original 80 seat without second mortgaging the house though.

I got lucky. I have what was sold to me as a NOS '80 seat for 80 bucks.

1692551867432.png

1692551886253.png

And here's the seat the bike came to me with...

1692551931740.png

20231129_160600.jpg
Re-Torquing the Head
Past time for me to retorque the head on the low miles Special. Happening today.
The head bolts are shiny clean - just put a bit of copper antiseize on them and will change the outside washers to brass.

Back