How to winterize my XS?

nlovern

possom man
Reaction score
Hi,
Nathan here. I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for winterixeing my 82 XS. Now i have it covered up,battery out -in house,will charge batt once a month,i added stabil to the gas and run bike till warm before i pulled battery.Is on the centerstand also. Should i drain carbs? Fill the gastank up all way?
Thanks for help
Nathan Lover,va
82 XS650
71 Yamaha DS7 250

I would add: change the oil and put some wood under your tires. concrete can leach moisture out of rubber. With the stabilizer run through you should be good through the winter. Yes, top up your tank.

Cheers,

Doug

I would also drain the carb bowls to prevent varnish from building up. Todays ethanol gas goes stale pretty quickly.

I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information.

your in virginia, keep riding :thumbsup:

True! I spent a winter where it was frequently -20. All I did was try to keep the tank topped up and run it for a few minutes every couple of weeks, for the sake of the battery and spreading the oil around. Then ran the gas out of the bowls so the float valves wouldn't freeze closed. It was outside under a cloth cover. I would have continued to ride were it not for the snow. Something I did which I should have thought twice about was going for a spin when some seals were probably iced up pretty good; probably tore them up and paying for it with some leaks now.

True! I spent a winter where it was frequently -20. All I did was try to keep the tank topped up and run it for a few minutes every couple of weeks, for the sake of the battery and spreading the oil around. Then ran the gas out of the bowls so the float valves wouldn't freeze closed. It was outside under a cloth cover. I would have continued to ride were it not for the snow. Something I did which I should have thought twice about was going for a spin when some seals were probably iced up pretty good; probably tore them up and paying for it with some leaks now.

Starting the bike up and letting it run for a few minutes is not generally considered a good idea.

Your literally pouring condensation thru the crankcase....the bike needs to be ridden/run at operating temperature for a considerable amount of time to clear the condensation.

You'd be FAR better off NOT starting it.

i envy your year round riding. farmer's almanac is calling for a cold and snowy winter here (which it typically is anyways). might have to get another sled...

winterizing my bikes involve taking out the battery and carbs and bringing them inside. i fill the tank with gas and it sits outside in the shed. also stuff the intakes and mufflers with oily rags to keep out critters. spray some fogging oil in the plug holes and kick it a few times. that's about it.

in the spring i change the oil, lube cables, change plugs if needed. oil chain, grease everything.

Last edited:
^Right. Coming up with a good way to stay warm is at least half the fun. E.g. leather mittens with fuzzy lining, and two pairs of army wool liners inside, stuck underneath windproof jacket sleeves with velcro closures...and then...and then... Lots of people have ridden 1700 mi. entirely in the 40s.

You'd be FAR better off NOT starting it.

Well, I was in no frame of mind to baby anything. But I would have to see the full explanation for why not so that I could evaluate it for myself.

Back