how to with no title

catastrophe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok so i got a bike and its supposedly out of the dmv system and there is no pink. how do i go about getting the pink and how much does it typically cost?

haha quail valley is in california. i dont believe its stolen but more curious on the whole registratiion on it since it is out of the system.

Ah gotcha. I have no idea. I am sure it won't be that big of a deal. I think the no title part is the more difficult part. It will have to clear a vin check to be sure it isn't stolen I know that for sure.

ok so i got a bike and its supposedly out of the dmv system and there is no pink. how do i go about getting the pink and how much does it typically cost?

Your kind of in a sticky situation, but definitely a manageable one. I'm assuming you've ran the VIN through the DMV, that's how you know its out of the system right? With that being the case, you'll have to fill out, and get notarized a form that basically states that you have financial interest in the bike. From there, you'll have get the bike inspected, by inspected I mean a person from the DMV looks at the vin : /

California, Washington, and a few other states are notorious for how hard it is to get something titled. Other states like Maine are one of the easier.

Another option you can go through, is using International Title Services. Though it costs money, it may be worth it if your having a hard time at the DMV, and you have alot invested into the bike. Long story short, they can get a title for you. And they have a good reputation (google reviews on them), but again its up to you weather you're willing to pay. Can't remember how much, exactly i've heard people using them for $75, and some for $160 and up.

I do recommend calling the DMV though, and explaining your situation. The smallest detail can mean the difference between getting your bike in your name in 1 day, or 4 months. And definitely call multiple times. I called multiple times, and have gotten different answers (a few times)....Best of luck.

My friend is still waiting for his title from ITS. They said it had to be ispected, meaning safe and road worthy, before they would issue it. I still don't understand that. So he's out a couple hundred now. I just looked and some of the website is still down. Been 2 months and it's still down. Option 2 and 3.
Apparently they give you a registration, not a title.
From their site " We then send you the new current registration in your name. In addition, you will have all the necessary documentation to legally title and/or register the vehicle in your State. "
I know in Delaware you must have a title. Not a bill of sale, not just a registration. Or bring the titled owner with you to get a replacement and immediately transfer it at the DMV.

I just got two from them. Did he do the VIN certifi with police?
They changed there policy and screwed me big time last year with 8 titles that i paid for but got there act together and i have not had any problems since i do the VIN CERTIFI. They sold the buisiness last year and were all screwed up and now only offer one plan $210.00 but has to be VIN Checked and paper signed off and you get it. Last two i got came back with TAGS TOO>
Also VERMONT reg is the title look on the back it has the transfer on it

He did a search, but they told him, now this is what he told me, that the bike had to be road worthy. He did this last November and I know I read something about it being inspected. I bought a bike with a title, he had to have this one. Look who's riding. Of course if he even does get it, without a paper title Delaware will not except it. I had to go thru ATU, auto theft unit, to double check my VIN. The VIN is correct on the title and neck sticker, but not stamped. They started this after '82, but the state police and DMV had to double check it and do a search.
Delaware doesn't give a shit. Don't have all the paper work, oh well, not going to allow you to register it. Even if you just want to transfer a title into your name and not tag it, you still have to take it thru inspection. Even if it's just a frame.

Yep thats when they were having problems a year ago i did 8 and i didn't get any back until Aug 2010 did them SEPT/OCT 2009. Tell him to keep calling them and ask for i think her name is SARA she helped me. I will try and find the direct number they gave me. I paid a lawyer and i was going to SUE them and they were tried of dealing with me and got it done. I even sent someone to DMV in VERMONT and found out it was not them it was DMV in VERMONT that had over 1000 titles held up. Its tough getting titles but it can be done. NJ may be the place soon because they did away with inspection and to get a title in NJ bike needs to be inspected. Now they have to revise the law. I tried and had 5 supervisors holding there head with no answer. You changed the law now motorcycle titles for bikes over 20 years should be given out. That was the law on the books. I go over every two weeks Everyone in NJ needs to write you congress man CHANGE LAW TO SAVE MONEY BUT OPENED UP A HOLE!

My bike came from Jersey. Guy didn't want the tag on it. So I have a tag good 'till Aug. I asked if he wanted it, even handed it to him. He said he didn't need it. Oh well, I tried.

As far as i know you don't have to return motorcycle tags only car tags and now with no inspection you go in with insurance and get tag and go. Jersey really screwed up with this one but its good for bikers and the way gas is going up you are going to see bike sales go up.

I used ITS and was able to get a title, eventually. ITS only registered the bike and sent me the plate and registration. When I took that to the DOL (Washington state). The lady said I need to have a title. I explained to her that it is registered in a state that does not issue titles for bikes over twenty years old. She pulls out a big book, flips through it then says again that I need a title. So I had to go home, look up the law online, print it bring it back, stand in line again. Get the same lady and show her what I printed out. She pulls out the same big book, flips through it again but this time agrees that the registration is good enough. She starts all the paper work and is nearly done before she notices that it is my name on the out of state registration. Evidently that set off a bunch of red flags. So I had to explain how I was able to register it 3000 miles away then fill out more paperwork. Eventually I did get a clear Washington state title but it was hardly the painless procedure it was made out to be.

At least in Minnesota once it drops out of the system (every 6 years) even if you have a lost title its now untitled. here you just reapply, submit a pic of all 4 sides, and pay your fee. You get a 2 year provisional then if nobody claims that its stolen you get a full title.

Catastrophe, can you find the last owner. If you can he should be able to get a replacement title. Then you can transfer that title to you.

I've used ITS. Got a Maine registration slip (equivalent to a title) and Maine plate in my name with tags that were good for a year. I think it took like 5 or 6 weeks to get it all (a few years ago). Sold the bike to my neighbor and he had no problems getting a Wisconsin Title. Before I sold it to him, I called the WI DMV and asked about transferring the Maine slip to a title. They told me they have to honor all the other state laws and that it would transfer fine.

What if you lived in Maine, had the registrations slips for your old bikes (which is all you need in Maine) and no titles, then moved to another state and tried to register your old motorcycles. Can that state tell you that you can't register them in their state?.. I don't think so.

Back