how to with no title

Unfortunately, when you move to Delaware you have to transfer all your vehicles over to a Delaware registration when you get a Delaware license/ residency. And you only have 30 days to do this. So when they pull up your vehicle report of their computer and ask why you've been here, and have vehicles already titled here, for years, they catch you. Happened to me. I live here and took longer than 30 to transfer a stupid boat trailer. $250.00 worth of compounded fines later I got the title. I don't know how it is in other states, but if you have a lein on a vehicle, as in a loan, the DMV holds the title until you pay it off and get a lein release. Then they will give you a title. So you can't sell the vehicle if it's not paid for. I'm serious, De doesn't mess around. I said it before, even if you want just a title and not even a tag, you have to go thru inspection. If it's only a frame, you have to physically walk it thru so they can fail it, then go get a title.

I'm a firm believer that they should have a regular theft system. You have a bill of sale and a search says it's not stolen then you get a title.

DONT BUY A BIKE WITHOUT A TITLE UNLESS ITS FOR PARTS ONLY the hassel aint worth it. get one with title only to fix up. i had to buy a frame with title to register mine (cost 200 dollars, lest it was a roller, with mag rims and other resellable parts)
and fixing to get another one just i case i run across a good deal on another one with out title.

What if you lived in Maine, had the registrations slips for your old bikes (which is all you need in Maine) and no titles, then moved to another state and tried to register your old motorcycles. Can that state tell you that you can't register them in their state?.. I don't think so.

I believe that Vermont and New Hampshire is the same way. I bought three bikes from a member here in N.H. all with no titles but one was registered. The state does not require titles or insurance for registration. The seller said when I was ready to title them he would just go down and register them and transfer it over to me and I could get a mass title for it that way. I think to avoid any issues with that that I will use ITS instead, I have used them before and it has worked just fine.

^ I don't know.. I'd probably take the seller up on that offer. Sounds like less of a pain in the ass and cheaper than going through ITS, And you'll end up with pretty much the same thing, a registration from another state that should get you a title in your state.

No I can't find the last owner its pretty much been in a junk pile between like 4 dudes that were all gonna fix it up. The last guy had it for 9 years sitting in his garage. Its a passed on bike from a friend of a friend to a friend of a friend situation.

not sure if this is allowed by the forum(if so, mods please delete my post)....ive got a yammy neck with clean papers if youre interested? shoot me a pm

No I can't find the last owner its pretty much been in a junk pile between like 4 dudes that were all gonna fix it up. The last guy had it for 9 years sitting in his garage. Its a passed on bike from a friend of a friend to a friend of a friend situation.

Odds are good the last 4 owners gave up because they couldn't get a title.

If you're a great welder, buy a neck with a good title-- if you weld like I weld then buy an entire frame.

And if your neck or frame comes from another state then insist that the title is notarized before it is sent to you.

Yes, as a matter of fact I am a notary and no I won't help you fix your screwed-up titles as doing so is a felony and I'm too old for prison. :banghead:

no i know why they never did anything with the bike. points are gone stators and rotor are gone rectifier is gone and tci box is gone. i talked to the last two guys and they both said they didnt want to spend the money to fix it.

no i know why they never did anything with the bike. points are gone stators and rotor are gone rectifier is gone and tci box is gone. i talked to the last two guys and they both said they didnt want to spend the money to fix it.

Smart builders don't spend money on bikes they can't title. Good luck.

You know these bikes are getting so rare that most you find don't have a title when you buy them and there are a couple years that the numbers on the paper and the frame really don't match up 100%. I use to do the 900 mile tour and go from NJ to MASS/NY/WI/MICH/Ohio/Tenn/ Back into PA and home and buy up all i could but they just ain't there anymore. Now i got guys in NY/Cal/ARK/ that fine them and i just buy the frames and get them shipped to me. Its really getting harder to title bikes that are over 20 year old and like i said before LAWS HAVE CHANGED. You were able to use some one in the states that don't have titles and get them to get you paper work and YES that was good enough before not now. TRY IT see what happens. Same as MSO i am sitting on alot of them they are worthless. Try going threw the system in NY/NJ/PA with a MSO .The red tape and miss one recipt you are screwed. Get a state trooper that knows bikes DONE. They now can tell you its not road worthy. I have givin two bikes to local cop for parade and he was the nices guy in the world. Sold one of the bikes and HE GAVE THE NEW OWNER A TICKET FOR SIDE MOUNT LIGHT. NEW LAW IN NJ can't have side mounted light.
So I give all you young guys credit because i will be dead and you will still try and keep CHOPPIN ALIVE and its going to be HELL. Titles and where to get them is 10% of the problem. All i hear is new law after new law. You know the new kicker in NY DESIBALS!!!
$150.00 to $350.00 fine if you are too loud. I watched them in STATENISLAND set up sting and take 23 bikes in a hour after a toy run for NO INSURANCE/BAD TAG
SORRY GUYS THIS JUST FIRES ME UP. SOORY TO RANT!!!!

You know these bikes are getting so rare that most you find don't have a title when you buy them and there are a couple years that the numbers on the paper and the frame really don't match up 100%. I use to do the 900 mile tour and go from NJ to MASS/NY/WI/MICH/Ohio/Tenn/ Back into PA and home and buy up all i could but they just ain't there anymore. Now i got guys in NY/Cal/ARK/ that fine them and i just buy the frames and get them shipped to me. Its really getting harder to title bikes that are over 20 year old and like i said before LAWS HAVE CHANGED. You were able to use some one in the states that don't have titles and get them to get you paper work and YES that was good enough before not now. TRY IT see what happens. Same as MSO i am sitting on alot of them they are worthless. Try going threw the system in NY/NJ/PA with a MSO .The red tape and miss one recipt you are screwed. Get a state trooper that knows bikes DONE. They now can tell you its not road worthy. I have givin two bikes to local cop for parade and he was the nices guy in the world. Sold one of the bikes and HE GAVE THE NEW OWNER A TICKET FOR SIDE MOUNT LIGHT. NEW LAW IN NJ can't have side mounted light.
So I give all you young guys credit because i will be dead and you will still try and keep CHOPPIN ALIVE and its going to be HELL. Titles and where to get them is 10% of the problem. All i hear is new law after new law. You know the new kicker in NY DESIBALS!!!
$150.00 to $350.00 fine if you are too loud. I watched them in STATENISLAND set up sting and take 23 bikes in a hour after a toy run for NO INSURANCE/BAD TAG
SORRY GUYS THIS JUST FIRES ME UP. SOORY TO RANT!!!!

Looks like you need to check out this thread: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=70344#post70344

well i havent spent any money on the bike but thanks for the 2 cents recycle bill. there is always ways around things unless the bike is stolen. the whole reason i posted this was so i can get a title before i spend the money.

I'm also from California and it's not that hard to get a title here. We've done it a couple of times for old bikes.
Just go to the DMV and tell them you need to apply for a title for an old bike that was long abandoned by some previous owner. You may want to have the VIN with you so they can check it in the system. They will then give you what I think they call a "Statement of Facts"form. Fill it out and give it back.
The next step is they will want to inspect the bike at the DMV. I'm not sure what the inspection includes now a days but I think they just verify the VIN. Be aware that the bike will have to be on the ground for this. They will not get onto a trailer or truck.
Go for it. Then you'll know if you want to put money into it.
If nothing else if you get a title then you can sell it to someone else and make a little money in exchange for just a little effort on your part.

I`m from de. Too. Mv really turned into a mess trying to title something. Even with the yellow sheet from theft div. They won`t do it. Title services are too high for me. S. Carolina is now the same as de. Lots of luck. I think they don`t want you to title something old so you have to buy new. I wonder how they would like it if they were on the other side of the counter? If they were out of work or just scratching by? Could they afford new? Betcha the rules would change real quick then.

Well I ended up putting a lien on it. It cost 40 dollars through a company and basically I said it was abandon on my property for the last year. They will contact the last owner and if he wants it he can have it but he has to pay me a storage fee for the year which came out to like 75 dollars a month. Either way it works out. And I checked through the website nicb and it came back as not being stolen or salvaged

The Lean should do the trick. In California garages and the like do this when people don't pay the repair bills they agreed to and essentially abandon their vehicles. It has to be something like a year and a reasonable effort to contact the previous owner has to be made. We bought a piece of property once and it had a couple of decent old cars on it. We put a Lean on them and got titles with no problem.

$40 is pretty good. Well worth it to let them deal with it. Mind telling what company you went with?

You're in California, and I just went thru this business; bought a bike with no license plate or title; only had a bill of sale. I was a little hinky, but I did know where the guy lived...Went to the dmv with the bill of sale and a form (you can download any dmv form online - just google dmv and then look for change of ownership forms) for lost title. They than had me go to the CHP and get the bike inspected to verify that motor number and vin on the frame were the same and signed off on it; following this, another trip to the dmv and I had my plates; the title in my name came about 2 weeks later. This bike was also off the books - I think it is 7 years.

Back