How will tier 3 fuel effect our old machines?

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Other than a higher cost how will the new fuel regulations affect the operation?
I am finding articles about the proposed regulations but nothing about performance to be expected.

Right now most gas has 10% ethanol. 87, 89, 91 or 93. There are a few places that sell nonethanol gas but are few and far between.
The next stage gas will be 15% ethanol. This is like the 10% but 50% more so. It will do more damage to fuel systems faster. Adding more ethanol decreases the engery in each gallon of fuel so you will get less power and milage.
Ethanol fuels are one of the biggest hoaxes ever played on the general public.
Even using the easiest plant to convert to ethanol, that's corn, it takes more energy to produce than you get out of it. How can that work?
Leo

All I have seen is the info on sulfer reduction. If we already eliminated 90% of the sulfer from emissions several years ago, and we are going to take out another 4% at a cost of around 9 cents a gallon, who does that serve? CERTAINLY not the consumer. We are a non-consideration. More big government telling is what is good for us and outlawing everything else, and we are powerless to stop it at this point.

Seems it could be the oil companies trying to scare you when it come to the projected rise in fuel costs.

Reality or not, the cost will happen because they, (oil companies), will increase the cost and blame it on the govt any how, then it is up to weather you hate the gov't of the day on who you believe. LOL.

Combustion engine is the most inefficient engine ever made, it is archaic and it is only a matter of time before you will have to have a permit to ride or drive on to the, "I remember when" club days once a year..

Seems it is the US that has the idea to convert corn to ethanol, and as you say XSleo it is has the most inefficient conversion rate of any other material. and it produces more carbon that it saves.

South America and Aus has sugar cane that is converted and it wouldn't do any harm to stop producing sugar all together and use all the sugar cane for ethanol.

The Tully sugar mill, (local to me), generates its own power by burning the buy products so in effect it is basically carbon neutral, and when we have power cuts, natural disasters like cyclones, the mill fires up and supplies power to the town.

Ah, it's all a crock of horse shit-power-grab. Mount Pinatubo doesn't care about sulpher.........Aetna, St Helens, Yellowstone, insert active, inactive etc......

Not to mention the world's oceans emit more chlorine into the atmosphere in a day than man has distilled to make plastics since the beginning of time.

No sheet skull. They seem to be regulating them off the road.
The once a year ride may be the future.

Come on nj1639. Tell us what you really think about it.
Don't hold back to save my tender ears:wink2:

jd750ace
Most if the reduction(so far) has been emission control rather than product refinement?

I'm wondering if the reduction is going to effect how much "fire" is in the hole.

re: alcohol production
Jerusalem artichokes have a better conversion rate than corn with a lower production cost.

hi guys well i,m in victoria ,australia,,,, in a tiny country town,,,, when i fill up my wagon i only use 98% unleaded,,,,,, the car runs clean,,,, and in both my bikes i only use 98% unleaded petrol ,,,the small amount extra it costs doesn,t worry me ,,, and it doesn,t go off ,,, regards oldbiker

Ah, it's all a crock of horse shit-power-grab. Mount Pinatubo doesn't care about sulpher.........Aetna, St Helens, Yellowstone, insert active, inactive etc......

Pompey did

No sheet skull. They seem to be regulating them off the road.
The once a year ride may be the future.

i honestly think we will see it in our time

Not to mention the world's oceans emit more chlorine into the atmosphere in a day than man has distilled to make plastics since the beginning of time.

154 years the beginning of time for you, LOL. I guess the Dinosaurs are just a conspiracy to distract from UFO's

154 years the beginning of time for you, LOL. I guess the Dinosaurs are just a conspiracy to distract from UFO's

Did the dinosaurs seperate chlorine molecules to make plastic? I think that's the exclusive realm of man, and the Industrialization period, s maybe that 154 years applies there, but the beginning of time was far before any man figured out how to distill anything.

My family are coal miners, and I live on what was once the Permean Sea. I've seen plenty of fossils. I've seen no UFOs.

jd750ace
Most if the reduction(so far) has been emission control rather than product refinement?

The sulfer reduction in gasoline and diesel began in 2004, and is done at the refinery. Over 90% reduction since then.
The only thing I have noticed different in the world between 2004 and now is EVERYTHING costs more, wages are flat to falling, and stupid people are multiplying at alarming rates.

If that's what sulfur reduction does, I can't take much more myself!:wtf:

According to UK bike magazines, the higher ethanol content will be detrimental to older bikes because of its ability to detroy seals and gas tank liners.

I can tell you from experience, XSs don't like ethanol. You'll end up with bad seals, gas lines, expanding O-rings and lots of varnish that used to be in your tank now in your carbs gumming things up. Floats won't behave properly because the rubber tips on the needles will swell... And aluminum parts like float bowls corrode from constant exposure to water-ethanol mixes.

The ethanol will also attract water from the air. Buy a clear glass fuel filter so you can see it and drain it out.

And most fuel conditioners sold contain ethanol.

I've got a Toyota fuel injection system that I plan to install on my next XS to get me around the problem but I've not yet managed to get my head wrapped around the electronics to make it work.

EFI doesn't have problems with ethanol because #1. the rubber parts are designed for ethanol #2 there are no float bowls to corrode #3 the high operating pressures force the water through the system and #4 no fuel remains when the engine isn't running.

Now I am told the newer flatside carbs don't have problems with ethanol but I have no personal experience with them and cannot say but the carb rebuild kit I bought from MikesXS.com did not last a single season with ethanol.

I try not to buy ethanol but around here it's impossible sometimes.

Back