How would you mount this short rear fender?

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm stoked on how the rear fender modification came out so far - cut down the stock fender from my XS650 and shaped 3 tabs out of the fender as mounts.

How would you attach This to the frame? The Original idea was to weld 3 corresponding tabs on the frame, bend the fender tabs down to clear seat pan, and bolt it up.

But now looking at it, there are 2 sweet channels on either side of the fender that maybe I can us instead with some clever tab work.

What do you think? Thanks as always to everyone for your consideration.

full

full

full

full

I'd use a minimum of 3 screw/mounts, one in the middle where your clamp is, two more as far down as possible, to maximize rigidity. Maybe two more inbetween those. Could simply drill/thread into the rear rail, see how you like it. Later, if necessary, replace those drilled/threaded holes with bungs. Maybe add a thin strip of rubber 'tween fender and rear rail...

Might be able to make use of these kinda things. Sorta temporary.
Then, you wouldn't have to drill/tap holes in the frame.

Attachments

• saddle_pipe_clamp.jpg
    saddle_pipe_clamp.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 216
Those thingies are pretty soft.. ment for home/stationary use, but you could make those out of pipe, though. Good idea

the vibrations are going to make short work of that fender, no matter how you mount it.

Back