Howdy!

Chuck

Useful idiot
Reaction score
My brother gave me his 1980 XS650 project bike as he has another project bike and he knows I love XS650s. Got it home, did some cleaning, yanked the carbs and soaking in Pinesol (they were relly yukked up). Ordered new bronze bushings for the swing arm, ordered carb rebuild kits, Clymer manual, and misc. stuff. Still getting the 30 years of grunge off of it. It has a dumb looking easy rider seat with a good pan so I need to get that back to normal, would like a flat seat. Decided to change the fluids and had no problem with the brake fluid, rear fluid was orange (rust I guess) but the brakes still work. The oil drain plugs are tighter than heck. Could not loosen them with a 10 inch cresent wrench, so I measered them and it looks like I need to get a 27mm socket. Scares me when an oil plug(s) is that tight.

Anyway this forum has answered a zillion questions already, so it was time to join!

Chuck

Welcome Chuck. Pinesol eh? That's the first I've heard of people using it on carbs. How well does it work?

Welcome Chuck. Pinesol eh? That's the first I've heard of people using it on carbs. How well does it work?

Thats the power of pinesol baby.....

pinesol2.jpg

p!nK

Yep, 27mm with a 1/2" breaker bar, MAYBE a 3 foot section of galvanized pipe as an extension. Put her on the center stand, lay on the floor , (eat yer Wheaties) and pull. Still might be a good idea to have someone holding on to the bike.
Replace the crush washer.

I have a paint can of carb cleaner but smells like heck and ticked off my wife. My brother recommended the Pinesol. Also googled it up and it sound like its the deal. The carbs will soak till carb kits arrive. Disassmbling those carbs... so many little parts to loose.

OK nice to hear that the oil plug tighteness is normal. I usally freak about the idea of big breaker bar on a little nut in some aluminum alloy. I will buy that 27mm socket.

That is one sexxy house wife!

The rear drain plug is usually a lot harder than the front one. But you can leave the rear in because all or nearly all comes out the front drain. Plus if the front was to strip it's on the sump plate, making it easier to deal with. I wonder what smells worse. that crazy bitch or the pine sol..

Back