Hugh's Hand build hydraulic clutch. Stalling.

valleyofthesun

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So, i just finished installing the hydraulic clutch into my 81 hardball bobber. I had to play with the adjustments multiple times to engage the clutch. I bleed the cable twice now.

The problem Is riding the bike, it starts up perfect. One-two kicks no choke, sounds awesome. idles all day. pulling the clutch in (still in perfect shape) right when i click down into first it dies.

What is going on??

I have a PAMCO ignition so i don't think its any electrical problems, also there is so electrical around the kickstand so i know that auto shut off is not active

Last edited:
Hi, sounds like your clutch is not disengaging sufficiently. When you are putting it into gear it's stalling. A good way to check if this is the case, is to get the rear wheel of the ground and repeat the process. No doubt, you will see the rear wheel start to turn and if you apply a little rear brake, the engine will probably start to lug until it stalls. If that is the case, some clutch adjustment will be necessary.

Or put the bike in first, pull the clutch, and kick her over. If the kicker turns the motor, it's not disengaging enough, if it slips, it's all good.

Do you give it a bit of throttle when you put it in gear?
If trying that for the first time and there is no front brake you might want to have the front wheel firmly against a wall or car bumper. How many RPM is it idling at? Factory setting is 1200 RPM. It might idle nicely below that but a wet clutch has a certain amount of drag even when it is set perfectly. That can be enough to stall a motor that is idling slowly.
What Airworlfie sez, but there will be some drag with a wet clutch even kicking a non-running motor.
It might be useful to read this page. http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/p/xs650-hydraulic-clutch-conversion.html

There have been some QC issues with the, "out of Hughes control" far eastern supplied components from time to time. So it's also possible some hydraulic component isn't holding pressure or there is air in the system that is not allowing full clutch release. That system works through the OEM worm gear clutch release assembly. There are reams of threads about the care and feeding of that unit. It may have issues also.

Back