Hughs hydro clutch bleeding?

rusty rocket

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Having a hell of a time bleeding this pit bike setup from hughs. on hughs site it says not to disassemble the pit bike clutch setup bought on ebay but you have to disassemble to put hughs longer hydro hose on. I followed hughs instruction on his site but this damn thing doesnt want to bleed out. I have about 1/4" to 3/8" movement on the slave cylinder and it doesnt want to retreat back to the starting point I also have no resistence on the clutch lever. What the hell am I doing wrong it cant be that fricken hard to get to work.

I've had one of these on the shelf for several years, till I get to the time it is needed. {Thanks again PreGrid}. I just got it out and remembered, they work backwards. When you pump the brake lever, it push's the ram out. Maybe if you don't realize that, it could be your problem? The ram has to be pushed in to start the install/bleed.

I had one installed for about a week before the internals on the slave gave up the ghost. I would bleed and bleed but it kept sucking in air around the pull cable that connected to the worm gear. Hugh sent another one no questions asked (thanks!) but it too ended up losing the battle to gremlins. Felt great while it worked.

I thought Hugh stopped selling these? He told me they were having issues and decided not to stock them probably over a year ago.

Hugh has a how to bleed these on his blog. And yes, they pull in when you pull the lever. You havd to remove the top cap, push the cylinder up until you see the rubber o-ring. An extra hand works well here to keep it at that point( it needs to be unattached to the worm gear). Start bleeding until it stops letting air out. When done, pull the piston back and replace the cap, and you should be done.

What I did was use some 1/4 clear fuel tube over the top to bleed the cylinder, a lot less messy. Just pour the excess out afterwards once you pulled the piston back in.

11549551995_ec1596d40d_b.jpg

Pull the piston out and let it gravity bleed. Air becomes trapped in the new line and pumping the lever just moves it back and forth. Take the cap off. Push the piston up and out of the slave cylinder. Keep the cylinder lower than the rest of the unit. Keep fluid in the master cylinder. The air will be pushed out by the fluid. Once all the air is gone just replace the piston and reassemble.

Back