HUGH'S PMA weak spark with SPARX CAPACITOR

Reverse polarity voltage on a large capacity electrolytic capacitor will cause the capacitor to explode if there is sufficient current from the source of the reversed voltage and the PMA is certainly capable of producing sufficient current.

This is why it is recommended that you wear protective safety glasses when testing a PMA setup for the first time until you have determined that the capacitor is receiving the correct polarity.

Reverse polarity voltage on a large capacity electrolytic capacitor will cause the capacitor to explode if there is sufficient current from the source of the reversed voltage and the PMA is certainly capable of producing sufficient current.

This is why it is recommended that you wear protective safety glasses when testing a PMA setup for the first time until you have determined that the capacitor is receiving the correct polarity.

Yep, had a small electrolytic explosion back in the mid-70s, the little can/shroud blew straight up and lodged into the acoustic ceiling tile, more power than a BB gun, "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"...

I basically have the same setup as you, with the Boyer ignition. What size battery were you using? I have a 0.8ah tiny battery that I am planning on using until I can get my PMA and CAP setup. Just wondering if you think that will have enough juice to fire the BB ignition coils.

You know, SPud, I don't know the size of the battery - I have never looked. It's all strapped in there at the moment. I'll let you know if I can see anything on the battery top.

Anlaf

I had the same problem with my Hughs PMA.

Ended up being the regulator. the best way to test is to get a really good fluke meter that can measure peak and RMS readings in AC and test across the 3 stator wires before they go to the regulator.

if it gets around 14rms AC and 30v peak the stator is outputting the correct voltage and the regualtor/your wiring is bad.

SPUd, my battery is a YB12A-A, if that is any help.

Anlaf

Thanks mate. Yeah, that battery is the same size as the one that came with my bike. It's about 10 times larger and heavier than the one I have now.

The one I have is seriously about the size of a deck of cards. Lol

Time will tell I guess.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have still not wired in the SPARX - I contacted Lowbrow, they said the SPARX is a copy of a British idea on POSITIVE EARTH bikes - after the explosion stories I will be posting a thread to get the definitive wiring for those things.

Anlaf

Back