Hydraulic Clutch Hard to Pull

ninskrillz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was out riding yesterday and out of nowhere my clutch lever became impossible to pull with one hand. It only happened when I let the lever go completely. I have a Hugh's setup. How do you adjust th clutch with this type of setup? I plan on taking the worm gear apart and servicing it. Would love to know how to adjust it once I've done the servicing.

Ok so I got the left cover off and it was pretty cruddy. The worm gear was all dirtied up with oil and dirt, the pushrod seal is leaking. It had two shitty springs holding the tension on the worm gear, gotta replace those.

One i took the worm gear off, the clutch was still crunchy and hard to pull, and as I actuated the cable end of the hyrdraulic system, I could hear squelching and eventually noticed dirty oily mixture coming out of the little anodized red piece of the system at its threads. I have no idea how to bleed this setup and am considering just buying an EZ pull from 650central and being done with this.

I also was unable to budge the adjustment screw from the worm gear. Any ideas on that are greatly appreciated.

Attached is a picture of the leak, worm gear screw and bonus pic of my bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 218
For the nut; with the worm in the cover I like a 12mm 6 point on the air wrench, quick squeeze of trigger it's off. IIRC Hughes gave up on selling those hydraulic setups, too many probs just like yours........ yes a known good stock or motion pro cable with minimal gently swept curves in the routing, well lubed works just fine for me on many XS650's with many miles on them.

Thanks for the pic. :thumbsup:

Back