Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I sent off for a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder and some hoses, they arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised. The slave cylinder mounts where the original cable was and pulls on the lever attached to the course thread screw. It was cheap and is pretty darn good quality, just not sure it will work that well as the bore is only around 12_14mm. Tomorrows job.

Some hydraulic hoses also arrived, these were advertised as 'braided' but certainly there is no external braiding. They are quite small in diameter and appear to be made of some sort of plastic with braiding of some sort under the clearish outer surface. The smaller of the two came with three banjos: straight, 28 degrees and 90 degrees. Again, they appear to be quite good quality.

The slave cylinder and hoses were only bought to play with, but if everything works ok, I may look at the hoses for brake lines. I'll be on the lathe again shortly to make a slave cylinder that pushes on the clutch actuating rod, not a fan of the course threaded screw actuator.

Attachments

• WIN_20220304_16_25_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220304_16_25_19_Pro.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 164
  • WIN_20220304_16_25_42_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220304_16_25_42_Pro.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 153
  • WIN_20220304_16_25_57_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220304_16_25_57_Pro.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 155
Will be interested in how this works out for you. The previous owner of my bike gave me a couple of these slave cylinders along with spare parts for the bike. Never tried to hook it up. Did you get the hydraulic hose with removable fittings on eBay? I’ve been looking for that type of hose and have only found fixed banjo’s.

Will be interested in how this works out for you. The previous owner of my bike gave me a couple of these slave cylinders along with spare parts for the bike. Never tried to hook it up. Did you get the hydraulic hose with removable fittings on eBay? I’ve been looking for that type of hose and have only found fixed banjo’s.
Yep, ebay specials. The short hose has removable banjos. The longer hose has crimped banjos. They are both available in a variety of lengths from 400mm up in 100mm increments. Of course they're all either too long or too short. That won't surprise anyone!

Just as well your not riding the bike on the road. Don't see any approval standards on the fittings

15. BRAKE TUBING AND BRAKE HOSE
Flexible hydraulic brake hoses, air or vacuum brake tubing and air and
vacuum hose, flexible and hydraulic power hose between the Brake
Power Unit 31/00 or Brake Power Unit 35/00 and the master cylinder
or its equivalent must conform to SAA, SAE, BS, JIS, DIN, ISO or ECE
Standards specified for flexible brake hoses, air brake tubing or hose or
vacuum brake tubing or hose or hydraulic power tubing or hose and be
fitted to the vehicle as to prevent chafing, kinking or other mechanical
damage under normal motion of the parts to which they are attached.

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7925

Like I said in my original post 'I bought the cylinder and hoses to play with'!

I am going to try the same thing. I have the slave and master cylinder just need to find the hose. Waiting to see how it works for you

There used to be quite a few of those in use by other forum members with varying rates of success. I think Hughs Handbuilt also sold that style for a while. I use a different type hydraulic clutch and truly love it. Been running the same Aprilia slave cylinder for about 8 or 9 years without having to ever adjust the clutch.

There used to be quite a few of those in use by other forum members with varying rates of success. I think Hughs Handbuilt also sold that style for a while. I use a different type hydraulic clutch and truly love it. Been running the same Aprilia slave cylinder for about 8 or 9 years without having to ever adjust the clutch.
Any idea how much more plate separation you will get vs a stock cable set up? Does this address the “finding neutral” problem that many of us face?

Last edited:
Been running the same Aprilia slave cylinder for about 8 or 9 years without having to ever adjust the clutch.
That is the system I have been planning on using as well Ippytattoo. Did you take any pictures of your setup?

That is the system I have been planning on using as well Ippytattoo. Did you take any pictures of your setup?
i believe this is an externally mounted slave cylinder. I’d be interested in the details too. Might be a bit easier for me to do this mod vs an under cover slave cylinder.

i believe this is an externally mounted slave cylinder. I’d be interested in the details too. Might be a bit easier for me to do this mod vs an under cover slave cylinder.
It is my intention to modify the cylinder to make it undercover Bosco. Remains to be seen whether or not I am successful, but I like my chances.

Haven't attempted it yet. Dogbunny has a video on adapting an Aprilia clutch that I will most likely pursue when it's time.

I spent a considerable amount of time researching this type of set up before settling on my Aprilia clutch slave cylinder.

You can find these cable slave cylinders very inexpensively on eBay. I think that there are at least a couple YouTube videos by people who tried it on their XS650s.

Hugh's Handbuilt sold a kit ten years ago. There was a lot of excitement. If you Google "hugh's handbuilt hydraulic clutch"
You will find lots of info on it.
Hugh's stopped selling them a long time ago because there wasn't really any improvement with it over the stock cable.

Back