I am dumb! Drunk ass wrecks cherry xs!

fullashit

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright so here's the deal and I need some opinions on where to go from here. I have an '80 650 special with real low miles in terrific condition. I rode it all over the previous summer and needed to some upgrades. Building my xs last winter while I had the engine out to replace some leaky seals I came up with the brilliant idea after too many beers that since I am not running a tach that I might as well remove the tach drive gear! As I'm sure some of you are already seeing where this is going... yup... yanked the oil pump drive. Sober me would have had the same dumb idea but would have researched it first or at the very least remembered he had done it later on. Skip forward a few weeks later bikes ready for test run... late night rip up a local forest service road and a rather indulgent burn out at the local serve and sip and then... just then my stupid ass hears the noise. pull the bike back to the shop. Ride the Honda for the summer and try to forget. So... now...

Messed the cam up, rocker shafts, rockers, valves are lightly touched and a whole lot of heat through the entire assembly. I understand through research that the xs performance cam is not ideal but what about the other parts through Mikes? (shafts, rockers, valves, chain) Also I have an opportunity to pick up a 74 tx650 engine and from what I can find looks like I could use the head off that? Sorry for the long winded story but I figured there'd be questions so I laid it all out now. While the oil was burnt there was no metal in the filters of drained oil but I'll tear it down to check for damage none the less!

Head hung in shame,

johnny

Oh, man, that sucks. Sounds like you shutdown in time, tho'.
Hopefully, all the damage is confined to the head.
As long as the oil is up to level, there should've been enuff splash lubrication to keep the bottom end alive. I'd still check the piston skirts and rings.

A good used head and cam would be the economical approach.
Punkskalar *did* post an issue with the MikesXS stainless valves, undersized stems causing guide leakage...

Thank you for the reply Twomanyxs1bs . Yeah I'm thinking a used head is the way to go hopefully I find out I can use that tx head. I will definitely check the bottom end pistons and wall. I was concerned about the Mike's stuff and Punkskalar has helped me in the past with a troublesome PMA and he was awesome. So much so that I just bought his system and it solved my issues. So I will follow his recommendations for sure. Thanks again for the help.

what about the other parts through Mikes? (shafts, rockers, valves, chain)
Ebay has been a good place to get parts, for me. Also, after you find out what you need, put an ad in the classifieds here. It is pretty active and some of the sellers have prices that beat ebay by a lot. Mike's seals are good, with the exception of the cam end seal that some don't like. My brake kit from there is holding up. Some other rubber parts reportedly aren't so good. Check anything before you put it in, no matter the source. I vastly prefer used OEM parts to most anything. Some critical parts are once again available through mother Yamaha, so check a dealer website when it absolutely, positively has to be right.

Great, thanks for the advice xjwmx. I have checked ebay and found plenty of parts but never considered the classifieds here or Yamaha themselves. Thanks again.

Re. TX650 head, it will work just fine. The only heads that won't work for you are XS1 and XS1B--heads and barrels have different gasket surfaces on '70 and '71 motors.

Thanks for the information fredintoon but with the information grizld! gave me I am going to look at the TX I have a line on. It's in my town and I can scoop the engine for next to nothing. I was just concerned about whether the tx head was the same.

'74 was the first year for the "447" type engine which is what your 1980 is as well. You could use the cam, pistons, and cylinders as well if you need them. You will have to use your '80 type E cam chain adjuster assembly for carb clearance but it should swap right onto the '74 cylinder with no problem.

there is a guy near me that i met last week who has a shelf full of them. none are great, but if you pulled valves and parts from each one you could absolutely get a few working out of that stack. if you can't find something let me know

thank you 5twins further supporting grizld1 s response. It's very good news for me and it seems I've got off too easy on this one with this fairly clean tx engine right here in town, it's actually a flat tracker buddy of mines and doesn't have a title ( A common issue here). schlakeandbake30 thanks for letting me know, if what i get doesn't work out I'll catch up with ya. While I've been here a while I have not been too involved in the site as I have other bikes but I have to say the response has been excellent and supportive and so far a great forum compared to some others I have been on. Again Thanks buds!!

Cheers

Back