I believe I have a dead cylinder (exhaust temps very different)...

JNizza92

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to throw this out there and see what everyone thought...

I have a 1975 xs650, rephase, pamco, pod filters, open exhaust...

When I feel the exhaust air coming out of the left cylinder it is hot and puffs out at a constant and pretty quick rate, the right cylinder exhaust air is not hot and comes out in puffs with a bit of a time gap in between. I wanted to take some quick temp measurments of the head, so as it was warming up I read 190 on the left cylinder and 130 on the right cylinder (near the spark plug hole). I know that the bike was not fully warmed up yet, but I feel like they should be closer in temperature...

Anyone have this happen before or is this normal?

lots of things could be causing this, electrical , fuel , mechanical ,head gasket leak.

My first step would be to check that I had a good strong spark equal on both plugs then I'd check that both cylinders were getting the same correct amount of fuel . Colour and appearance of the plugs should help here.

if both fuel and spark check out I'd probably check the valve settings next possibly do a compression check to be sure I hadn't got a sticky or leaking valve

I guess the carbs may need a cleaning, i did have the same issue with mine xs. One of the nozzles were clogged, solved that with a ultrasonic washer. Hope this can help you. Cheers

Back