I Couldn't Help Myself!! 1976 XS650

JonW

Troop
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
This bike came up on Craigslist here in Vermont in the motorcycle parts and accessories section. The seller had just found it in a "for real" barn and was selling it for $500. I went back and forth with the guy for a couple of days and ended up taking it home for $250. It is rough and was last registered in Maine in 1984. I tried kicking it over but it is apparently locked up. After cleaning the dirt off, I will pull the plugs tomorrow and pour some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders and see if I can free them up...fairly easily....hopefully. :D

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 121
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 119
  • #6.jpg
    #6.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 116
  • #8.jpg
    #8.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 123
  • #9.jpg
    #9.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 120
Just want to confirm the year. The VIN is 447-2007XX. Hopefully, I am reading that as correct for a 1975 model-year production bike.

The dash is from a ‘76 I believe. A one year only piece. I don’t think there was any crossover there, but it’s not to say they are original to that bike. Just an observation. Nice project you got there. A great price.

The dash is from a ‘76 I believe. A one year only piece. I don’t think there was any crossover there, but it’s not to say they are original to that bike. Just an observation. Nice project you got there. A great price.
Type D cam chain adjuster and linked carbs say '76 or later also.

Thank you!! It does appear to be a '76 after going over it, as well as the French Blue paint showing through on the painted-over headlight and headlight mounts. The gas cap is also a 1976 type, and I have no doubt that I will find some more clues. Of course, where the year of manufacture is located on the data sticker, that has virtually disappeared. However, the rest of it is very intact and readable. I guess I will have to modify the bill of sale :(

I removed the plugs today. The right side plug came out just fine and looked like it was running rich. The left side plug was a bear to remove when I started, and then I noticed it was not screwed in all the way. I was sure they probably cross-threaded it, however, I put another plug coated with anti-seize in, and it threaded in with no problem....whew! So, I added the Marvel Mystery Oil. and will check it on Tuesday the 4th, and see if it might budge.

Any good locksmith can make a key based on the #’s on your locks. If in doubt take one in. The seat lock is normally the easiest to remove and all four locks should fit the same key provided they are all the same #. Nice find….
Thank you. I have used this certain seller on eBay a few times, and I now have two keys on the way.

It's been raining here continuously, but when there was a brief lull, I quickly removed those hideous pull-back bars with an extra set of stock Honda CB750K bars that I have. Just for now, and will replace them with some EMGO 32" wide low bars. No pics, as it started raining again, so cover back on.

Just entered the thread - Nice little purchase you got there...:hump:

In the UK a bike like this would have an asking price of about £1500. Rip off Britain we say.

Back