I Don't NEED Another Project

What I can see of those mufflers looks pretty solid. How's the bottom?

Ya I was really surprised at the condition of them Downeaster. Bottoms are pretty rusted so Jury's out on them till they come off.

Well I actually think you’ve got a pretty good starting point there. I thought you had said that it didn’t com with a tank, that’s a huge savings there, even if you have to have repair it you’re ahead. And those side covers and all the emblems, guard those with your life LOL! Those things are gold!
The rest will come. You’ve got a good start there!

I thought you had said that it didn’t com with a tank,

Weeelll Bob, it didn’t come with a tank and didn't have one yesterday. Does today.

There’s a story.
Ah you know me well enough by now, there’s always a story

Over the last couple of years I have gotten to know a local CVMG member at their rallies who was cafeing a TX500. Off and on he has needed help with things, carbs rebuilt, wiring gremlins chased down, etc.etc. Popped by his shop several times and gave him a hand.

Bumped into him at the CVMG Paris, Ontario annual Rally last Saturday. He asked what parts I was looking for today.

Told him I had my eye on a 73TX650 that didn't have a tank so……...slim chance, but that's what I was after.

He said “stop looking, I've got one, pop by someday”

Showed him a pic to make sure, he said, “yup. Got it.”
Huh.

I was out his way today so I popped by.
Sure enough, he had one.

I said, “Wow, ya I'd be interested in it, what do you want for it?”

He said, “All the times you came and helped me you wouldn't take any money, I’m trying to pile up some funds for my new build. How about $20 for my parts fund?”

Wow, ya gotta love the brotherhood of bikers, eh?

That is an awesome story! You’re a good guy. The gas tank is Karmas way of saying hello.
11B7F827-C33F-4927-9A74-61B94FD5C4E8.jpeg

It surprises me how many people fail to grasp such a simple concept. I know folks that are so cheap they'd strain a fart for the grease, but they'll whine and complain about how nobody will give them a break. I rarely deal with folks like that more than once.

I know I've gotten back WAY more than I've ever given away.

Thanks Dude!

I'm pretty excited about this one, but in no rush. Got lots of research to do, parts to source etc.

Bob mentioned that there are many similarities between the 72's and the 73's so I'm sure I'll be leaning on him for some advice and direction.

It surprises me how many people fail to grasp such a simple concept. I know folks that are so cheap they'd strain a fart for the grease, but they'll whine and complain about how nobody will give them a break. I rarely deal with folks like that more than once.

I know I've gotten back WAY more than I've ever given away.

....and I know a guy (looks a bit like Wilford Brimley ;)) who sent me a Suzuki GT550 parts book one time....
476D7979-C084-4A1E-93C5-D4545D2C78E2.jpeg

Amazing eh?

Last edited:
....and I know a guy (looks a bit like Wilford Brimley ;)) who sent me a Suzuki GT550 parts book one time....
View attachment 120614
Amazing eh?

:laugh2: :rolleyes:

I'll have to see if I can find a picture of my old Navy buddy Lou. His 'stache isn't quite as luxuriant, but other than that you'd swear he WAS Wilford!

Four years and 2 owners later, road ready, on its way to the next.

Attachments

• 20220815_110751.jpg
    20220815_110751.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220815_110735.jpg
    20220815_110735.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220815_110626.jpg
    20220815_110626.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20220815_110816.jpg
    20220815_110816.jpg