i give up - gas thru the carbs AGAIN

jasonmrenda

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
have rebuilt the mikni vm34's a number of times and same thing. clean, wash, use air to dry, reinstall everythin, all is fine for 5 mins then gas through the carbs like a river. how the heck do i adjust the floats on aftermarket vm 34 roundslides? seriously about to pitch the bike into the lake.

jason -

On 34s, I'm not sure if you have to bend the "arms" that contact the floats, or a tab that controls both, but it does sound as if your float levels are misadjusted, or you have a leaking or misadjusted valve. Have you looked up top at the Tech Section yet? There are some documents there that are specific to your carbs. also, the Carb Guide there may be helpful to you.

But yes, if your carbs are spitting up out the bells, you're either flooding due to float misadjustment/malfunctioning valve, or you may be very, very rich. How's the choke? Do you flood with it shut off (in normal running position)?

TC

Also, I know this was/is an issue on my bike. What year is your XS? My petcock was/is failing on my '83 due to it being a vacuum setup. From all the reading, this sounds like a common issue and the vacuum petcocks are prone to failure. This would allow flooding the carbs and leaving the plugs soaking wet in fuel.

Those floats can bind on the BS34s. Mike's has one kind of float for these, but in 1980 they were brass. The plastic ones that Mikes sells will bind and leak. I've read that some people shim the inside of the pivot shaft hole with copper tubbing form the hobby store. There should be no play here, should move up and down easily, but not flop around at all. If they do, they will bind. I struggled with this on my bike and ended up buying floats from the dealer to fix.

Back