i give up.....giving it back

hi, Pete.
I adjusted the timing chain, its good.
I wont cut a slot in the disk then.
I did switch wires. I will clean the timing gun tonight and try again. it wasnt too fluttery. pretty close to each other, but noticeably two different flashes.
I did consider the posibility of cracked crab boots. I'll try the 'ol carbcleaner-around-ye old carb-holder' trick, it has been sitting in a basement since 92. Concerned for the shaft seals, too.
I got gas too on the way home from work

TO THE CLOUD!!!!!!!

angus67,

I use a propane torch to find carb leaks. Just turn it on very low without lighting it and pass the tip around the suspect areas.

it will just rev higher with propane, right? With carb claeaner, the idle just smoothes out breifly?

angus,

Right. The propane mixes with the air and the resultant "mixture" is equivalent to opening the throttle. Less mess too.

thanks.
As I was syncing and adjusting, I had always noticed a clatery exhaust leak around the ex outlet. tonight It was loudr, and could feel exhaust coming out. grab a wrench, and gave it a twist.........................stripped.
Well, at least its not broke off flush with the head. it was already stripped, but had been bandaided long ago with a Jb weld like substance.
Meh. I'll pick up a heli, and a new exhaust stud tomorow.
Looks to be metric coarse? Any tips? Its the right side outter stud.

angus,

Well, those studs just screw out, if you can get a good grip on them. MikesXS sells replacements too. The studs and nuts look big, so people have a tendency to over torque them. They should only be torqued to 9.5 Ft/Lbs., which seems like a low number, but that's because of the heat and expansion.

i stopped at a dealer on the way home, and I had talked to the guy that helped me on different ocasions, so he actually remembers what Im into, He looked at it and pointed out that the end that goes into the head is 10mm coars, and the nut side is 8mm, but he and I agreed that the threads looked like sae coarse. We figure when it was 'repaired' years ago, a carb stud from a car , or something like that was used. He didnt have any studs earlier than 77. Thoughts? Any other makers use the same studs? I would prefer having it now over waiting a week for a mike package.
Would a heli be fine on a exhause stud?
Ther isnt a whole lot of meat in that hole. Any other options?

oh, yeah. forgot to turn the petcocks off last night. Thank god I dont have any pilot lights in my garage.

angus67,

Well, if you mean that your carbs leaked overnight on the floor, then that is not right and indicates worn float needle valves that need to be exchanged. Could be a source of some of the problems you've been experiencing.

angus, yes a Heli-Coil would work very well IF installed correctly and squarley. The secret to those is very clean threads after your pilot hole is drilled asbsoulutly square. The kit's are not real cheap, but, I feel, worth there weight in gold. I saved a quad-4 head with a ton of those. Every single bolt that hold's the cam holders on pulled out, so I had a head with no way to mount the cams. I used 2 Heli- Coils on eachbolt hole with a tool I made up with a long thread bolt. Car still running today, 8 years later.

angus67,

Well, if you mean that your carbs leaked overnight on the floor, then that is not right and indicates worn float needle valves that need to be exchanged. Could be a source of some of the problems you've been experiencing.
I only replaced one float valve during the rebiuld, and if I'm not mistaken, the one that leaked, is the one I didnt replace. both carbs set at 26mm. headed to the hardwearstore for a heli kit. thanks for thr tips, gordon.:thumbsup:

did the heli. piece of cake. used a new carb stud. Started right up, idle fine. no exhaust leak, but the motor is still clattery. How 'clattery' are these motors? its a 71. Checked the cam chain, was fine. intake at .003 exhaust .006
Waiting for it to cool down so I can pull that carb and put a new float valve in it, maybe check the valves again......to the batcave!!

one stud is sae now!! I looked for metric studs, but no. oh well. the crown nut threaddded on no problem, prolly because it was on a sae stud before. alls good now.
Changed float valve. turned on fuel to fill the carbs. just hangin out in my garage to see if it still leaks. fingers crossed.
think I got this bike licked now, big thanks to you guys, and especially Pamcopete, my hero.

Angus,
They are pretty noisy for such a small engine, but as long as it's not rapping or the valves are not 'ticking' too loudly, I'd say it's normal.
Mine is noisy also with the valve's set at .002 intake & .004 exhaust.
You think that these are loud, you should hear my Iron head Harley, got gear driven cams (4), gear driven generator, and a big, fat primary chain all making noise's.Also the clutch is hanging off the primary chain,so... I gotta make some 'Popsicle' baffles for the drag pipe's,my neighbors hate me. Personaly, I like the sound .

Back