I got her Running!!!!! (after 4 yrs sitting)

ericmu17

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Sooo the XS650 I just bought that didnt run is up and running! Im sooo stoked I can barely contain myself! I changed the spark plugs, took the carb off and cleaned it, put a new battery in, changed the midnight black oil that was in it and it IMMEDIATELY fired up.

oK...SO.....I now need to get onto tuning the carb because it understandably kinda runs like crap...but will idle nicely (although it does at a extremely low rpm)...Does anyone have any advice or know of any threads that could help me with tuning the carb??

Also what else am I missing? The compression should be fine right? The bike only has around 15k on the O.D. and had no problem starting right up...

It kind of smoked some out of the exhaust when it first fired up then the smoke kinda of died down....

OK the biggest thing is....when I bought the bike a couple days ago the guy who sold it to me said that the bike kept fouling spark plugs on one side. When I took the plugs out I did notice one was completely black...and the other was mostly black with a tinge of tan coloring. He said it probably needed a valve job???? whatever that means. Anyone have any ideas?

CONGRATS!
You can find a lot of useful info by searching on the forum. Just went through the same thing you are doing.

I was told to:
Adjust the cam chain tension
Set the valve lash
adjust the timing
tune the carbs

Some of it may sound a bit intimidating, but it's not tough when it's broken down.

I'de also pull the carbs off and inspect them. Pull the top cap off and check the diaphragm for holes or rips.
pull the float bowls off and check to see if the floats are holding gas(leaky)
Set float height
check needles for accessive wear
clean them up and set them back to oem specs per the year model

Are you running filters and mufflers?

What year is it?

650carbspecsreducedsizeey7.png

Yea....Old looking black foam filters and just the stock mufflers that came on 1980 XS650's

Thrashin....thats amazing TY! Yea its a 1980 according to my title.

The carb is the mikuni 34 mm

And When I took the carb completely apart to clean it i noticed that the floats were brass.

All the gaskets looked clean and intact and the diaphragms didn't look bad at all.....

You ARE excited. But let's back up a bit. You should check compression anyway, it can run and still be low. Mine has less than 9K miles on it, but both cylinders were low on compression after 30 years, big surprise.

As for adjusting the valves, there is a great youtube video that will help:

I would order some jets. Stock size, then a jet size down and up. That's just me. Carb tuning and syncing can take some time and patience. My father likes to read plugs to tune carbs. As far as syncing you can buy a manometer if you want to spend money, but Pamcopete has a method that I like I believe called "dead cylinder" method or something like that. A little searching would get you far.

And yeah, cam chain.

The info you guys gave me is tremendous...big confidence builder. I am looking forward to taking my time and making sure that everything is in order before I register her for the summer. Thank you.

I am in the same boat with my 1978 special,it had been sitting in mums backyard for 10 years,a generation of anklebiters had broken off any bits that they could manage
I opted for the complete teardown before i try to get it running as there was so much wiring,missing parts,weather damage etc.It is my retirement restoration project so im in no hurry to ride it,besides i dont have a bike licence and last time i rode a bike was 30 years ago.Just hope to get it running before im due for the old folks home.:)

There is section in the carb guide on tuning carbs.
There are few things to do before you start messing with the carbs, The things are. Cam chain tension
Valve adjustment.
If a points bike the gap and timing.
On TCI just timing.
These eliminate the mechanical side of running.
Read the carb guide. This will help you tear down, clean, inspect what you have. While in there write down all the numbers on the brass part. This is your baseline to begin tuning.
To tune you make one change, test, make a change test. Eventually you will get it where it should be.
Leo

Back