I just bought a complete stock bike with NO KEYS

BobberNick

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My question is, can I order a factory key for my bike based on the vin #? My old man used to work for Honda and he said he used to be able to order replacement keys for the old bikes. Does anyone know if Yamaha does that? Or, can anyone make a key for me? Or, would it be best to by a new ignition set. The problem is that the handlebar lock, ignition and gas tank cap are all origninal and match. Please help.

Bobber Nick

You aren't going to be able to get a key from the vin because if you could anybody who wanted to steal a familiar bike could just order a key.

IIRC, you can open the gas cap with a credit card.....never had to do it but if you can get that open the lock has a number on it, might help tracking some keys down. I'd think that any of the locks should have the coresponding #.

should be a number on the bottom of the key ignition that you can take in to most dealerships that will be able to cut you a key. If that does not work for you I have a gas cap, ignition, and helmet/seat lock off a 1980 xs650 g.

^True but if he has to pick the lock first, It'll cost you. I'd take the igntion switch off and look for any numbers while taking it down. Then take the number to a good locksmith and he can make a key. Local locksmith made me a key from the number on the key I had for $7. Didn't copy the key - put the number on it into a machine.

Just got a set of key made from him and they work perfect. just need the numbers from the ignition switch, gas cap lock, or seat lock. They should all be the same number.

My buddy just got price estimate for $55 dollars from a locksmith to come to his house and pick and cut a key for his Honda. He called Dealership and they said they could not get him a key. Yamaha maybe different.

Gas caps are easy to open just push back a spring loaded catch underneath you're in.

Gas caps are easy to open just push back a spring loaded catch underneath you're in.

You MAY have to true that square hasp afterwards if the lock is stubborn. And... I think that only works on 74 and later. The ones with the key on top. The older ones with the key facing backwards can't be opened that way.

The older caps you just slide a thin piece of steel, like a knife blade between the cap and the lock. With a bit of a wiggle and push the cap pops open.
On the later models you have to work under the lock from the front and push just on the catch. If you push on the lock it will shear off the pin on the l;ock that opens the catch.
Leo

This is fantastic! The guy On eBay seems to have it figured out! Great find. Thanks for everyone's help and input. It's good to know you can Jimmy the gas cap open too! Good stuff!

Nick

Just get the numbers off the ignition switch, or if your not sure they are the correct numbers than pull the switch. I usually just pull the whole switch and bring it to the local locksmith. $10 later they're handing me a key. Piece of cake.

Back