I just noticed this

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
I am not starting a political thread here, it's against the rules. We don't need another argumentative thread anyway.

However, I just noticed this yesterday. Check out what it say's on the Washington D.C. license plate. "Taxation Without Representation". Anybody else thinks that's odd? Isn't the quote, "No Taxation without Representation" ?

dc-plate.jpg

from the web and what I remember from high school;

These are REAL plates and this is the motto. More than half a million Americans live in Washington DC and do not have congressional voting rights? DC was established by our forefathers as a federal district to be governed by Congress and residents of our nation's capital do not have democratic representation in the U.S. Senate or the U.S. House of Representatives. People who live in DC pay the second highest per capita federal income taxes in the country but have no vote on how the federal government spends their tax dollars and no vote on important issues such as health care, education, Social Security, environmental protection, crime control, public safety and foreign policy.

An amendment to the Constitution needs to be passed to give DC voting rights. Congress has passed laws to modify the DC government structure in the past. In 1961, the 23rd Constitutional amendment granted DC residents the right to vote in Presidential elections. In 1973, Congress passed the District of Columbia Home Rule Act giving DC the right to a local government (mayor and city council). For decades DC residents have written letters, protested, and filed lawsuits striving to change the city’s voting status. Unfortunately, to date they have been unsuccessful.

I was at a stop light and was reading it. My wife didn't understand what I was talking about though. She only has a PhD, lol. I have never noticed it until yesterday.
That is crazy about D.C. though. No wonder everyone who works there lives in Alexandria. Very interesting.

It's true, DC has no representation in Congress. Several times the question has come up but as always our elected representatives are too busy chasing pussy and working for that cushy lobbying position to retire to. The same thing has happened with Social Security, meaningful health care reform, balancing the federal budget, yada yada yada.

Back