I love NC

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
I just spent the last week in NC in the Wilmigton/ Sharrottes area and man is it a cool place to live. My son moved down there for a new job and i helped move. I drove the truck. But cool people and food off the hook. I have been in alot of states when racing my Drag Bikes but really never had the time to smell the roses. Get in race the bike jump on plane and get back to shop. So i was able to get to walk around go on a boat and sit and talk to very cool people with great story's. I am really thinking of spending more time down there after they get into there house. May sound dumb but when you run a shop for years and work your ass off 7 days a week and just don't take the time to sit and eat a meal that someone brings you and you don't have to eat in two min. to get back . Life down there is laid back and very cool people. OK with all that BS said i need a good car place and motorcycle shop down there for my son. Who knows someone good.

Pretty cool place. Never been there physically, but just this week remembering all the good times spent in Mayberry and the occasional trip to Mt. Pilot. RIP, Andy.

I've had family down there all my life. Wilmington isn't without it's problems (like anywhere) but it's an awesome area. Anywhere from NC to Key West along the coast would be preferable to PA. Western NC is also gorgeous but I like being close to the water.

~ Derek

Last edited:
I spent two weeks in NC a few years ago on a lycra clad bicycle trip and think of moving there one day. Asheville and the west side is really nice country with cool smallish size towns. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a must ride for anyone on two wheels. The road is closed to commercial traffic and protected by the Dept of the Interior. On most rides, we lost count of the mountain tunnels we rode through. One day, as we were descending at about 45mph and coming upon on a tunnel too long to see the light on the other side, a sleeveless-vest-wearing-biker-type pulls up behind us, flips on his headlight, trails us until we all get to the other side, then throttled past us with a low handed two wheeler salute.

And, that is only one of many good stories I still tell about NC.

I was born and raised in South Philly had my Honda Dealership in Eddystone and my chopper shop in South Philly too all in the 70's and 80's not like now you need a gun its wildwild west. .Don't get me wrong there was things happening then too but when you go to a town that everyone says hello to you and not look at you like a bum its very cool. Like i said before in the 80's and 90's we raced up and down the east coast and as far as Texas but i never seen the towns. My guys did who drove the truck and trailer me i was on a plane here and there and i was lucky to eat outside of the track. But now i got all the time that the man upstairs allows me and i am going to see some of the country. NC was very cool place to start and i will be there a lot. Whats the deal with when it rains everyone pulles off the highway REALLY FREAKED ME OUT!

I will be down in Myrtle Beach area the end of month helping a buddy move his tools and bikes down there. Both my son and my buddy moved down there so i will be down there a lot. Got to check out the BBQ place.

I was stationed in Jacksonville, NC and used to frequent Wilmington - actually bought my first new motorcycle and new car in Wilmington. The Raleigh-Durham area is also very nice. if i end up moving out michigan, NC will be where i go.

NAH!!!!!! No STINKIN UHAUL we upgraded to ENTERPRISE NO MILES!!!!!
I still want to know WHY????? when it rains everyone pulls off to the side of the highway???? Freaked me out. Whats the bike inspection and title deal in NC got to be better than New Jersey almost impossible to get a title. Going on 19 months with ITS and now 7 months with NJ.

My NC DMV Inspector tells me that any of the "Title Services" won't work anymore in NC. Any vehicle over 30years old(maybe 35) that comes into NC is inspected by DMV prior to a title transfer, especially ones from states where titling services are located. This has come about in the last 3-4 years after someone high up at DMV got caught improperly titling a vehicle. If you don't have a title, you can try to obtain a bonded title, but it's a lot of hoops to jump through, and still no guarantee you'll get a title. As far as inspections go, no Safety Inspection required on vehicles over 35 years old.

Last edited:
WARNING: TAKE HEED:

Titleing and bonding has gotten really hard here in NC in recent years. I lost $7,000 on a truck that the cops confiscated AFTER I placed the bond, tagged, titled and insured here in NC back in 2009. According to DMV I did everything right. DMV lead me through the entire process just as I had let them do dozens of times over the years. I had a title in my hand that was issued by the State of North Carolina after 3 inspections by the NC DMV. Months later, deputy sheriff showed up one day with the original owner, papers in hand and drove it off my lot no ifs, ands or butts... And the bond I posted? Went to cover any potential losses the State of North Carolina might have. That was one of the main reasons I helped found http://www.stolenmotorcycle.net

Also, as gruff54 mentioned, we've had some major crack downs lately. They busted one entire DMV tag and title office here in Greensboro and closed it just a few months ago. Everyone gone! A friend of mine is set to reopen it next month but you would not believe the hoops he is going through.

NC is now one of the hardest states in which to get titles.

End warning:

Now, nothing personal and you have every right to live anywhere you want to live but personally I cringe every time I hear someone from out of state saying, "I love North Carolina." I just wish we'd done a better job of keeping it a secret, that's all.

Another state that i would like to live in and again a state that has a screwed up DMV and RULES RULES.
But otherwise someone let the secret out and it is a really nice place to live. If you ever lived up here in the north like PHILLY/STATENISLAND/or even all of NEW JERSEY you would understand.
PHILLY is the wild wild west and you need your side arm or my favorite large knife to walk around . I think its now over 160 shooting deaths and its not mid summer yet.
NY people are just all in a hurry and if you stop you got ran over.
NJ just has a chip on there shoulder because they are not New Yorkers. No one says HI!!!! and if you do they look at you like you have two heads.
Again i am 61 yrs old been in alot of states as i said but never felt so confortable and people so friendly as NC. So you guys must be doing something right.OH also forgot HOT WOMEN HAHA!!!!!

New Jersey shoulder chips are from living next door (NY state, Pennsy) to a bunch of Bennies and Shoebees, 'specially if you live down the shore. "Here we are! Entertain us!" LOL!
Signed,
Expat Dennisville Piney
Everybody sing...."On the way to Cape May....."
Hey G! How's the property taxes? Still suck? Yeah, I thought so.....
I traded 4 acres of highly regulated pineland at 25 hundred bucks a year in taxes for 25 acres of ridgetop at 400 bucks a year and this state is running a surplus in the black!
Now if I could only find a decent hoagie roll......

HAHAHA!! YOU KNOW THE AREA
I live in Cape May and i like it in the winter but the summer everyone runs to the beach and just today i almost got side swiped by a car dropping off there beach shit and racing to get a FREE spot and i quess i was in the way. Almost needed a new right fender.No i am sorry the guy gave me a dirty look good thing today i got out of the good side of the bed. JUST CRAZY down here right now. I don't go anywhere near my shop on weekends because its right on RT47 in GreenCreek and traffic moves one foot per hour.

The reason you feel so safe down here is a healthy respect for the 2nd ammendment. Also one of my best friends has a full service shop in Winston, he specializes in drag bikes and has a dyno in house pm me if you want details.

Who is your buddy. I drag raced for 30 yrs all over and ran everything from Top Fuel bikes to ET. I go to the tracks up here all the time and won a bunch of money a couple times at the cabbage patch back in the 90's. Wish i was able to still race but just watch now.

Yeah i heard of him but never met him. I did have two grudge bikes running. Now only one that i just setup for a buddy in Philly. My zx14 is sitting because the rider was killed a couple months ago and i think that the family is going to sell that one but the BUSA should be running most of the races. It just needs to go a little faster some of these guys are really flying. I will be at the rock sometime this year just don't know when yet. I have built and raced bikes since the 70's and raced against the best but its just not like it was. Grudge bikes are the only ones now getting payouts.

Back