I may have fried my coil

NorazDad

NorazDad
Reaction score
I have an 81 H with a HHB PMA, Pamco with EAdv and Mike's big coil, not the green monster. The bike died in the driveway after my ride and I failed to turn off the ignition for about two minutes. Fired right up the next day, rode it for fifteen minutes, stopped to do a safety check at my son-in-laws house and when I went to leave, the bike fired up first kick and then abruptly died. No nothing. Had power to to the coil, but need to check if I fried it when I left the ignition on. How do I check the coil again? Could the Pamco be in danger as well?
I guess it was my Bad.

I have an 81 H with a HHB PMA, Pamco with EAdv and Mike's big coil, not the green monster. The bike died in the driveway after my ride and I failed to turn off the ignition for about two minutes. Fired right up the next day, rode it for fifteen minutes, stopped to do a safety check at my son-in-laws house and when I went to leave, the bike fired up first kick and then abruptly died. No nothing. Had power to to the coil, but need to check if I fried it when I left the ignition on. How do I check the coil again? Could the Pamco be in danger as well?
I guess it was my Bad.
Looks like it as a mechanical error. The nut at the sensor end of the auto advance rod sheared off
Will be needing a new one and maybe the whole rod ensemble
First experience with bad manufacturing
Lucky, huh?

Bad manufacturing?? If you were the person that installed the pamco and tightened the small nut on each end of the advancer shaft, then you should consider that you may have over torqued the small nuts. Those small nuts have only a 6 mm thread, and should only be torqued to 7 ft/lbs or 84 in/lbs., which isn't very much torque. I don't know if you have a torque wrench, but if you plan to keep the bike, you should invest in a torque wrench that is in in/lbs. The 6 bolts that hold the engine sump plate on, are also 6 mm threads, and should also only be tightened using an in/lb torque wrench.

Bad manufacturing?? If you were the person that installed the pamco and tightened the small nut on each end of the advancer shaft, then you should consider that you may have over torqued the small nuts. Those small nuts have only a 6 mm thread, and should only be torqued to 7 ft/lbs or 84 in/lbs., which isn't very much torque. I don't know if you have a torque wrench, but if you plan to keep the bike, you should invest in a torque wrench that is in in/lbs. The 6 bolts that hold the engine sump plate on, are also 6 mm threads, and should also only be tightened using an in/lb torque wrench.
You are right RG. I knew you would bust my balls for torque. It probably had more to do with checking and rechecking the shaft and fitting of the advance unit than it did with simply negligent over torquing. Getting the timing right on the pamco took some modifications of the plate which meant some off an on with the shaft. Oh well. Lessons learned.

Back