I need advice ASAP on a 650xs PURCHASE tonight!!!

Not too bad looking a bike, but I personally wouldn't pay 2200 for it. Especially if the title might not be available.

I would be asking him what has been done to the bike? Read HERE

Tells you nothing in the add about the bike and the paperwork seems dodgy

One thing i hate in an add is when they tell you what they would do to make it better, ......."if time and budget allows, i would put in clip ons, spokes wheels, and lower the front end an inch, but I will leave that to buyer to decide" .........it is a way of putting ideas into your head to endear you to the bike.

Not for that hackjob. With no title I would honestly give him the sum of his parts, maybe $500-600. With title I would probably give him $1100-1200 but that's about it. Looking on the classifieds here you can buy a decent stock bike for around $1200. I would definitely hold of.

I agree with Robhall, 2200 seems pretty high, especially since he can't find the title. He didn't do much to "cafe" it, except cut the rear hoop off, remove the fenders, cut the seat foam, remove the center stand, add $20 filter pods and turn the handlebars upside down. Do you know if it charges, any oil leaks from the clutch and drive sprocket seals, are the carbs tuned to the pods?

THANK YOU GUYS! I was a little hesistant on it. I currently own a 2001 Honda CBR 600, and I wanted to add a nice cafe into the mix.

I went to drive it just up and down the block, and it sounds mean. He replaced the air filter and says its not the right ones and it "boggs down the engine"

no speedo, no tach, no odometer, no blinkers, brake light doesnt work.

I think I'm gonna pass.

Damn! When exactly did XS650's become RARE? What a cobbled up turd for that kind of money. No title, no play brother, and you can buy an early 2000's SV650 for that money that will eat that thing up. That being said, find a good used XS with a CLEAR INSPECTABLE title, and go from there. If you want a rider, you're looking for one thing, if you're looking for a project, you are probably looking for something else.

OK, so you don't need a performance bike with the CBR sitting around, but you like the cafe style? Shop with abandon my friend there's a lot out there. Don't ever buy a bike (even a track bike) without a title inspectable with the machine. If it is not in hand when they show you the bike, something is ALWAYS wrong with it.

Wise choice. Do a lot of reading in the tech menu to get an idea about the problems associated with the XS/TX650. Learn about the different models, (disregard the reference to the front twin disk models, and the rest apply's to the US, also the US have Special2 models in 78/79/80). Take a copy of the Vin no's with you when buying, and read up on the buying guide i posted. Good buying.

THANK YOU GUYS! He replaced the air filter and says its not the right ones and it "boggs down the engine"

no speedo, no tach, no odometer, no blinkers, brake light doesnt work.

I think I'm gonna pass.

That is because those filters can block the passage to the diaphragms, and they are to small for the carbs. The more you learn the better you can bargain.

The XS is a good bike with the best after market supply of any bike in that era and this site would be the best read and have the best member help that you could get as well, from how to put oil in it to rebuilding engines, electrical issues to air in the tires.

No title equals scrap metal-- $50 tops!

Now that's BS. Not having a title does devalue the bike, but:

1. They're not impossible to get.
2. There are still a ton of really good parts there.... May hundreds of dollars worth of parts..... $50 is a little bit of a sensationalized number, wouldn't you say....?

RCB has been around the block a bit on no title bikes but it really varies state by state. California is kinda weird (duh) If it's not in the system, boom here's your new title. If it's been sitting for a few years BUT it's still in the system you owe back registrations to the last time the PO had a plate and there is no way around it. $$$$$
XS prices are regional, I have been tempted several times to fill the van and head to la-la land.

The seat alone on that bike has to be worth $500.
He does have current registration so the title should be doable.

Back