I need help making a decision on the purchase of an XS650

Murder Mode

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am pretty torn on the purchase of a 1981 XS650. The bike is in excellent running condition. It just passed VA State Inspection (which really says something for the condition of the bike). My intent is to make it a cafe. Cosmetically it's a 7 out of a 10 with a little rust in a few spots. The only issue I have, is that I was in the market to pick one up a little cheaper than he is asking. He's asking 1200 for it and I offered 700. He then dropped to 1000. If I pay 1000, I will be assed for awhile and will not be able to do any mods/add ons, but, will have a running XS650 in very good shape.

Then on the other hand, there is another one a couple hours from here that needs a carbuerator rebuild, but, it's selling for 400. Not sure what to do. Any and all advice, opinions, etc. are welcome.

Shawn :banghead:

my $.02 buying a running and riding bike is easier to start with for a build especially
if it's your first xs650. all the pieces and parts are there and working. Good luck
welcome to the club

A 600 dollar difference for a bike you KNOW runs stops and charges correctly vs one that "needs a carb overhaul" so is a pig in a poke on about 10 different systems is pretty reasonable.
That being said I don't recall that I have ever bought a "runs well" XS650. They have all been shove it in the van and start buying parts, working on it wonders. To be honest for the most part I like working on them as much or more than riding. 5 months of winter in Wisconsin helps with that.

I also recommend the running bike. It may set your plans back a bit but gives you time to learn about the bike as it is. Then as you gain a bit of cash do a few things at a time. Like the seat and tank. These won't disable the bike and you can keep riding as you mod.
The other bike might save you $600 now but can cost you more than that to get it to the point the first bike is.
Either way you will learn a lot about the bike.
Leo

Buy the runner. Since you are doing a café mod, you can keep riding while you mod, as most café mods can be done with out the complete tear down.

Buying the non-runner will cost you a $100.00 in gas, your day is shot, and you will be in $600.00 before you can blink.

You didn't say what condition the cheaper bike is in, it may be the better value.
$400 for 5-6 hrs tinkerin time is good pay.
But I'm not there and I don't have to live with the choice.

You also didn't mention what year and model the other bike is. A Standard model is a much more desirable platform for a cafe. The spoke wheels along with the 18" rear and the more upright rear shock angle fit the cafe "look" better. That fat 16" rear wheel on the Special doesn't resemble any true cafe bike that I know of.

being more specific on the models does help a lot when answering.

A link to help you with model ID.

81 Had 2 models one with mag wheels, (SH), and the other had spoke wheels, (H). The good thing about the mag 81 models is the rear mag was a drum brake and if you change to an 18' rear wheel it is a straight change without any alterations.

A frame with a title alone goes for about 500 bucks.to get a running bike for that price is good.anywhwre around me on craigslist everyone wants 2 grand or more

Back