I need help my Pamco system is not working

socxs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1980 Yamaha xs650g special II and I ordered a Pamco conversion ignition and it so far hasn't worked. Everything is installed where it needs to be and I even did the wires to the TCI ignition connection. It was getting spark before I installed the system so I don't know what is wrong. I think I might take it off and redo it but I don't think it would do any good. Any Suggestions would be appreciated. :banghead::banghead:

I connected the pamco red to the red white TCI and the Pamco Green to the Orange TCI and the Black Pamco to the Black TCI. And I then hooked the red wire and the orange wire up to the coil.

I connected the pamco red to the red white TCI and the Pamco Green to the Orange TCI and the Black Pamco to the Black TCI. And I then hooked the red wire and the orange wire up to the coil.

OK. That's the same way I have mine hooked up. But, I'm not sure I know what you mean by hooking the red wire and orange wire to the coil. Do you mean the red / white and orange wire?

Also, I hate to ask this, but you are connecting to the socket that goes to the TCI, not the plug from the TCI itself? In other words, the TCI box plug is not going anywhere?

Yes I am using the socket, and yes I meant the red/white wire and the orange wire to the coil. But I just discovered that I for some reason am not getting any power to the coil.

Yes I am using the socket, and yes I meant the red/white wire and the orange wire to the coil. But I just discovered that I for some reason am not getting any power to the coil.

OK. Most likely the ignition fuse. If you haven't done so already, you should rip out the factory fuse box as they always are troublesome after 35 years of duty. Replace them with inline fuses.

The fuses have been replaced already, but that is a good Idea, I will check them to see if they are getting any power, if that isn't it I think I may have to rip the wiring harness apart and see if there is a short somewhere.

The fuses have been replaced already, but that is a good Idea, I will check them to see if they are getting any power, if that isn't it I think I may have to rip the wiring harness apart and see if there is a short somewhere.

A short would cause a fuse to blow. Do you have a blown fuse? Rather than tear up the wiring harness, just check all the points where there is a terminal type connection, including the TCI socket, fuse, kill switch etc.

A short would cause a fuse to blow. Do you have a blown fuse? Rather than tear up the wiring harness, just check all the points where there is a terminal type connection, including the TCI socket, fuse, kill switch etc.
There is no blown fuses and the TCI socket is getting power but the coil doesn't seem to be getting any power at all. I pulled the harness off and I am going to look over all the wires and redo the fuses. I also checked the kill switch and I seem to be getting power there.

I got a white hot spark now, still hasn't turned on but I think it was the kill-switch possibly that was not working so I went ahead and bypassed and will get a different one on this weekend hopefully.

Back