I plugged the hole in my alternator cover

Coleman67

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking for something to plug the open hole in my alternator cover since I am running pods and don't have the hose going in there to lube the chain. A guy I work with gave me a spent Russian shell casing to use. It worked pretty well -- just had to turn down a bit of the casing to "plug" the hole. Now, since the shell was detonated it is missing the center pin. Does anyone have any ideas on a filler I could use to fill that part in? I thought about dropping some solder in there, but don't think it will match the brass very well. What do you think ?

Attachments

• 125_0015.jpg
    125_0015.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 99
To make it look like a casing wouldn't you want something to mimic the primer?
A short aluminum plug maybe?

Yes - I want it to look like an un-fired primer. I wonder if I could drop a little JB Weld in there, let it harden then paint it silver ..... Does JBW hold paint very well, or would this look cheesy?

Or go to it from the inside. A short stainless set screw from the inside locktite'd in would hide the socket head and the bevel to the of the screw would give you the rolled edge look of a primer?

No, I was thinking just leave the head on. That side cover, much of the bike for that matter, has Allens all over it. What's one more?

Back