i set valves to spec..go for ride and out of spec again....why?

remainincognito

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
1975 engine..setting inlet at .004 and exhaust at. 006. Ride for a day and not at spec. I set cam tensioner first then valves. Any ideas

Getting tighter could be valve recession problems but looser, I don't know. You should rotate the motor a few times and re-check after setting. Sometimes you don't get them right the 1st time around.

Yes..set at tdc compression stroke..rotate..do exhaust side..go to other cylinder..set to tdc on compression etc

did you say you do the intake on one side at tdc, then rotate to do the exhaust on the same side? dont rotate the motor untill you are ready to do the valves on th e other piston.

It's not unusual for a cam to have a base circle that's not dead round. That means that you have to check carefully to be certain you are checking it at the same point each time. But if the valves really are loosening up, it's probably the locknuts not holding or possibly the rocker shafts are worn.

Yes I check when engine is cold. It is fine now. Made sure to to set on same point each time. You rotate just a touch past then it changes. Did not realize how touchy it was. I'm set for .003 on intake and .006 on exhaust for my 1975. How much noise should one expect from valves at spec? Valves at spec but kinda noisy. Thanks for the help.

Well, depending on the amount of wear, what you're measuring and what the gap actually is may not be the same. The adjuster screw ends get all pitted and worn and the valve stem tops sometimes get dimples worn into them. You can't measure down into those dimples so the actual gap may be larger than what you're measuring.

Back