I suck at riding.

Police RTA investigators have told me that in most cases of a single-vehicle m/c accident, where the rider has failed to take a bend, the bike could in fact have made the bend if the rider had reacted by correcting his/her line but they have given up by then.
Whenever I've been off the bikes for longer than a few weeks, I find my cornering reactions are more like car driving ones. Several times I've found myself going into a bend and not leaning enough, a millisecond of corrective action has me going around the bend like it's on rails.
This is compounded by not riding the same bike all the time, or simply just having new tyres on, which are all differences to accomodate to and learn.

Took the big bike out today because it’s been a few weeks. Did some full lock turns from a stop and trail breaking on some twisties. Felt very comfortable by the time I got home. Tomorrow I have a group run on the XS. Should be able to ride that bike like a 10-speed.

Re-reading this post provides me with a valuable reminder of my level of riding skill. At legal, posted speed limits I’m probably a 7/10, but once you turn up the speed, my confidence drops dramatically and that’s a good thing because it slows me down and will help me live a day longer.

Grabbing a handful of front brake needs to become muscle memory. There ain't time to think about it when it "counts."

Practice... all the time
@G_YamTech_314 there's no point in beating yourself up over an incident, learn and move on. A few people have made the point about practicing hard braking till it becomes second nature and that is the best advice. You've got more time than you think in an emergency braking scenario. Even in a crash when somebody has pulled out in front of you, you can lose a lot of speed before the impact by progressive braking.

For me, it helps to physically relax. I'm sure that I used to tighten up on the bike which is not helpful - if you're going fast or you're on an unknown road with bends you're not sure about, relaxing helps it all flow better. So every time I'm out, at least once early in the ride, I make a conscious effort to loosen my grip, loosen my arms, loosen my shoulders. FWIW, the advice one old-timer gave me years ago - hold the h/bar like you would hold a small bird, just tight enough to prevent it flapping but not tight enough to break its little bones.

When arriving at a sensory overload it's pretty easy to get caught in a mental lock up like what yamtech is describing. I've been there, done that, kinda why I got away from organized road racing. On the other hand I've also survived (too many?) situations with a "calm state" that lets me concentrate on just the important things needed to survive.
Heavy braking in a straight line is not a bad way out of an excessive speed situation. It happened to me late in the day on an Ozarks ride. I missed seeing a 15MPH corner sign and arrived WAY too hot. I was on an XS1 but whaled on that front drum for all it was worth with some rear too, cuz well, front drum. Basically went straight and bled off enough speed to then complete the corner while (just) remaining on the asphalt. Whew.

In a way what you did was right; chose a course of action AND STUCK with it.
With practice you might have chosen differently, but once you commit to doing something it's usually best to stick it out. It worked for you, outcome could have been much worse if you had changed the plan partway through..

Grabbing a handful of front brake needs to become muscle memory. There ain't time to think about it when it "counts."

Practice... all the time
Yes. It happens also that the bike does not remember...that's to say that the bike may not react according to your memory. I endoed an XS in West Sacramento many years ago, some kids pulled out in front of me, probably in a hurry home to do their dope, and my handfull of front brake resulted in a plunge far greater than expected, thus endo... bummer for knee, but the bike was sorta ok. Me and the kids agreed to forget about it and split before some tattle-tale citizen got the cops on us. I went to the bar, but after a while Honey made me go to ER. The thing kept bleeding all over the floor. Still works ok. I prefer heavier oil in forks, and pray for Earls to come my way... much nicer! I miss the R-27 with Earls.. Best!

This springs ride in AR reminded me of my lack of riding skills
Just prior to going out there I had about 10 miles of riding on a straight road, load up the bikes and head out
My riding skills were just plain ass rusted because the roadway I left was an easy left turn at 50mph ? or less
I can't find the picture but in it you can see a straight line into the ditch once I started going to wide into the turn
I'm fine the bike did better and as soon as I think my ribs are good enough (soon !) I'll be back out de rusting my skills as I should have done before going to AR
Mn winter had just let up maybe a week before and i thought WTH I'll get plenty of practice on the ride out there :banghead:

This springs ride in AR reminded me of my lack of riding skills
Just prior to going out there I had about 10 miles of riding on a straight road, load up the bikes and head out
My riding skills were just plain ass rusted because the roadway I left was an easy left turn at 50mph ? or less
I can't find the picture but in it you can see a straight line into the ditch once I started going to wide into the turn
I'm fine the bike did better and as soon as I think my ribs are good enough (soon !) I'll be back out de rusting my skills as I should have done before going to AR
Mn winter had just let up maybe a week before and i thought WTH I'll get plenty of practice on the ride out there :banghead:
IMG_2484.jpeg

I concur that an XS650 can be easily driven through that turn at 60 mph, even without carefully choosing a line. However, when the rider isn’t accustomed to this…..

I heard the law officer say, “Do you have curves like this where you’re from?”

I was watching the riders ahead and behind me but no excuse for that missed turn manuver
I'm glad we weren't near some cliff

( heard the law officer say, “Do you have curves like this where you’re from?” )

Evidently not if the rider is from MN :doh::doh:

"He's used to the Montana freeways I guess" :laughing:

Working up for season or on strange bike, I do low speed practice, as low as possible and then a bit faster... empty asphalt space.

I keep 3 + seconds in formations. Close up looks cool, but it's (imho) stupid.

Longtimeago I sorta worked on an Army contract on a base, and had to get a scooter driving license from the army...so they paid wages to go to scooterscool on the base... I didn't expect to learn anything. But the very low speed exercises (guy was a retired cop milking his permanent disability pension by moonlighting as a private snooper and scooter instructor...and he wouldn't give me his name! (he was afraid! Go figure! Cops!)) anyway the low speed practice was very good. One of the few useful schools the Army paid for.

Back