I think I fried my XS Performance Ignition Coil

MXSBlue7

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I flooded my bike yesterday morning and pulled one of my plugs to check how bad the bike was flooded. I made the mistake of giving the bike a few kicks with only one spark plug connected. Now when I plug them both in I don't get any spark. I also tried new spark plugs without any spark.

I have read the warning on MikesXS about applying power to the ignition system or coil with out having both spark plugs connected. Although this bike is kickstart only I fear that I have fried my ignition coil. If that's the case could have I done more damage other than the coil?

For electronics here is what I'm running.

Pamco Electronic Ignition with E-Advancer
Pandemonium Choppers' E-Bomb Electrical box w/Stash tube.
Sparx Capacitor
XS Performance ignition coil 3.3 Ohm

This is for a 1983 xs650

Thanks!

MXSBlue7,

If that was the infamous "Green Monster" coil (17-6810), then most likely you have fried the E-Advancer as well. The listing on MikesXS has a clear warning and the instructions for the PAMCO also say that your warrantee will be voided with that coil.

So, start by buying a new coil other than the 17-6810. The "Ultimate" coil (17-6903) has been tested with one plug disconnected and it works just fine, although it is still a common recommendation to not run with a plug disconnected. Even the owners manuals on most new bikes say the same thing.

Install the new coil and see what you got, but I think the E-Advancer is fried as well. If so, then go to the web site www.yamahaxs650.com and buy a new E-Advancer for $95 plus shipping. I will refund you half or $47.50. PM your name so I will know who it is.

I'll say, what great service. Well, I think I may have the same issue? Looking for some help, I'm an XS650 Rookie but moderately capable mechanic.

Bike was not starting after a few kicks, which wasn't typical. It's a new bike to me, I did a lot of cosmetic work, but nothing mechanical because it ran great, and typically started right up after 1-3 kicks. So, I pulled the plug to check for spark and kicked it over, no spark, then realized I probably fried my coil, or so I thought. Bought a new coil, same problem.

Starting scenario: Turn on Key, kick 1-5 times, no start, but then when I turn the key off every time I get a big pop from the exhaust as the gas is lit up in the chamber. Battery is checking out at exactly 12v charged.

Set up:
'77 XS 650
Coil = Ultimate High Output Part #17-6903
Standard PAMCO Ignition, but no Electronic Advance. (I think, these previous owner install)
At least that is what I believe is on the bike, as I said, it's relatively new to me and I've only done cosmetic work thus far since it has ran like a champ until now, guess that's about to change though!! ;-)

Thank for any and all help.
Fish

pics for above scenario

Attachments

• 3 pic.jpg
    3 pic.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 337
  • 2 pic.jpg
    2 pic.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 375
  • 1 pic.jpg
    1 pic.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 370
I do have a stock energized rotor charging system.
The thread you pointed me too is way over my head, sorry, it actually looks quite fascinating and I tried to digest what I could. But I'm failing to understand what it means to my situation or how to rectify it. Help?? :)

Last edited:
I do have a stock energized rotor charging system.
The thread you pointed me to is way over my head, sorry, it actually looks quite fascinating and I tried to digest what I could. But I'm failing to understand what it means to my situation or how to rectify it. Help?? :)

ordered a new PAMCO, didn't upgrade to the new Simple version with E-Advance, etc - will do that over the winter when I re-wire the whole bike.

well, after installing a new PAMCO (and a new Coil last month) I've still got no start - frustrated!! same symptoms, try to kick, doesn't turn over, turn the key off and get an ignition from the chamber… anyone have suggestions??

fish2live,

I'm not sure what I can tell you. All PAMCO's are tested prior to shipping but you have had two similar failures with two PAMCO's. Are you using a timing light to set the timing? Please review the installation instructions and then try these tests.

Here is atest for the coil and the PAMCO:

Testing the coil:

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.
2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)
3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)
4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)
5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

Testing the PAMCO

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.

To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.
3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.
4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

Back