I *think* I know wuzzup... cam chain guide

griennehornette

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy all.

Changed the oil yesterday, and was presented with small gifts of black plastic detritus (is "detritus" singular or plural? or both? maybe it's detriti? I dunno...) on the sump plate. Took a picture, with the oil plug copper gasket for perspective.

Searched the forums and figure these are bits of the cam chain guide. Thought I'd post just to see if anyone thinks it's something else.

I might be getting close to the end of the ride for awhile. I don't hear any noise such as described in various posts, suggesting that the guide is so far gone I should stop riding tomorrow. However, I assume the size of these pieces mean I can maybe finish out the season, before replacement would be necessary. Top-end rebuild - in my case - could mean no bike next year, due to limited time, funds, and both mechanical ability and intelligence. Takes me all day to do simple stuff.

So I'm kinda hoping I'll get an overwhelming response of, "No worries! You'll be able to ride for another 5 years before dealing with it."

I don't expect that response. However, I can always dream.

Attachments

• detritus.jpg
    detritus.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 108
Yes, those look to be parts of the front guide, specifically parts of the lip that runs down both sides of it. That's usually the part that starts breaking off first. I'd say you could probably finish the season but you definitely need to get in there eventually and replace the guide. Once the lips break off, oil can get down in behind the rest of the rubber easier and start loosening it up. Eventually the whole rubber strip can fall off.

You can start accumulating some of the parts you'll need now bit by bit. That should make it easier on the wallet plus you can shop around and maybe get some good deals. Up front you could go ahead and get a front guide, cam chain (best to replace it), and a gasket set. As far as the cylinders go, you'll need to get it apart before you can know what they'll need (just new rings or a re-bore).

Mmmm. This makes sense. Why buy everything at once? A bit at a time is the way to go.

Thanks 5twins!

I'll also get reading up on the common top end stuff people run into, and do while they've got it apart. Seems like while the engine is apart, might as well do a few things. Like one thing I've seen is valve lapping. Those sticks with the plungers on the end, and some grinding compound aren't likely to break the bank.

Back