I think my cam tensioner bolt just came out...

borjawil

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm so i believe the cam chain tensioner bolt is below the carbs right? has a spring on the bolt? about 6-8 in long? If so it came out...I just got this bike, and i notice oil leaking from some where around there. not alot at first then more. fired it up, shut it off looked on the side and the bolt was out. Not sure what this means or what to do. Do I just put it back in? how far in do i turn it in?

Last edited:
Yes, put it back in. There is the bolt, a spring and a plunger. Some years have a washer between the plunger and bolt. This washer helps dampen the noise of the tensioner.
Don't leave any parts out.
At Mike's there are pics of the tensioners. In the gasket section. or engine - timing chain cam section.
Maybe some one can post the pics or a link.
Once you get the parts back in scrw the bolt in so the end of the plunger comes flush with the head pf the bolt. There should be some sort of lock for the bolt and a cap.
It shows them in the pics.
Leo

got it. Took a look. Seems i have the last one the type E. It has the lock nut. Guess im just not sure how to put it in if that makes sense. do i screw the lock nut flush to the engine and screw the adjuster cap until its tight?

Back