I think that I owe you gentlemen a build thread

Ngreen

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that I have been on here long enough being a vulture that it is time for me to start my own build thread. I am building a 1979. I started down the road of doing the "Brat style" build but eventually decided to do a monoshock bobber. This is my first street bike (ive had offroad bikes my whole life and ive ridden my dads harley quite a bit). More importantly this is my first build of any kind. before this project the only thing that I could do was change the oil in my truck. This build is as much about me learning how these things work and learning my way around the bike. so without further a do here is what i have done so far.

In order of the pictures that are attached.

1. This is what I started out with. A nice looking bike, but it had been wrecked and most of the parts were not original.

2. This is what I did with my first weekend of being a proud bike owner.

3. after several weeks of working in my cramped little sliver of my garage, I finally got my own dedicated shop. Not much but I dont have to continually worry about knocking something into the cars.

4. I had to get a good friend of mine to help me with fabricating the softtail. He did a great job. The mount looks great and everything functions as I planned. Only problem is I bought a monoshock that feels like a wet sponge with the weight of the bike and rider on it. we are currently reworking the mount to accept a stiffer shock and then hopefully I will be close to done on the frame!

5. Finally we have a picture of the tank that I am planning to use. It came from a cb 160 and has been modified to fit the xs platform. It is currently just painted with a rattlecan. I wanted to do some sort of paint for when I get it built up the first time then ill strip it all down and get a real paint job at some later date. The clear didnt go on well because of how cold my shop is, so im still working on it. for now though this is what I have.

Hope you enjoy

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 130
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 163
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 162
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 152
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 147
I just got the new stiffer shock to my buddy's shop today so I'm hopin we can have the frame wrapped up this week. Once I finally get everything back into my own shop I think it will go a little faster. I'm goin crazy only having a gas tank and motor that I don't plan on tearing down yet in my shop. I need somethin to keep busy

Back