I would like to introduce my '79 orphan.

CJsPerson

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm new to the site. Brought by a new to me 1979 XS650F. It sat in a pool shed for an unknown number of years. It was rusted all over and covered with some sorta powdery residue. So I put it under an EZup and tore it apart.
9C728094-4C22-4201-9687-3671EE8B7D0D_zpsotzdth3q.jpg

E6E69236-2F05-4029-A9CA-28BD318D8E18_zpst1zj7jf1.jpg

I went lazy and left the engine in. Taped it off and sanded, wire wheeled and painted around it.
7C498A84-921D-4E2E-87FE-6342999FCF1F_zpstdn0phhp.jpg

I had to scrub every bolt and surface.
E9DDEE34-B16C-43B4-B1A5-AA441BFDE444_zps0iqj3enj.jpg

7863D225-3A8F-40CA-BDB8-1E1CB5E39D0C_zpsee956n0t.jpg

The carbs, worst gas I've ever seen. I'm sure you can imagine. All the carbs need, as with most of the bike, was some elbow grease.

I had a hard time deciding to put that stuff back in. Or go striped down.
BC12B6C7-1FCE-43F1-A92F-28AB424AA5FE_zpsvvowm0ow.jpg

I got it back together and started. Flipped the handle bars for fun. I'll end up putting straighter bars on.
A612EC1E-42A1-4A2D-98EE-2660B4C4EED9_zpsvbetzsjs.jpg

B57EF291-BA63-487B-8966-35CCF0504189_zpsqbn1vuaf.jpg

I had a back fire I couldn't dial out. So I put the stock exhaust back on and set everything back to stock settings. Drove beautifully. Now it's sorta prettied back up.
0FCCDE7D-9521-4304-AED3-D5DD4CCFB83E_zpsluczwp9v.jpg

All and all it recovered pretty well from the ills of sitting. Petcock started leaking, fork seals went but so far not bad.

Any advice on what to do with the trashed out aluminum parts or where to pick replacement side covers. Would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
A '79 Standard is a pretty rare model, last Standard produced. You would do well to keep it mostly original. Sure, change the bars and exhaust, but don't go taking a Sawzall to it to make a bobber. Get a lowly beat up Special model for something like that. No one will miss one of those, lol.

The aluminum parts like the rear hub, rims, engine side covers, and fork lowers, were polished at the factory then clear coated. That coating begins chipping off over the years and then the corrosion sets in. You'll need to strip the remnants of the clear coat off (plain old paint stripper of some sort) and then re-polish. There's lots of threads on polishing around here. It takes some effort but the results are very satisfying.

And a big thank you for those who have participated in this site. The information I got on it or through it was absolutely necessary for the successful starting of my bike. :thumbsup:

I was thinking about striping it down at first. Always wanted a bare bones bike. That was back when I didn't think some of theses parts were recoverable. I've been riding it around for a week and it just makes folks happy. Every time I'm out it gets comments. So I'm thinking I have to find replacement side covers and let it be. :bike:

Lucky to have your shed find turn out so nice. And with a good seat cover to boot. The seat and side cover badges are 1off so big dollars usually on eBay. The color code is on the old 650rider site. As 5twins said the F is a rare model with only 5 or 6 on the board.

These are on ebay, (1), (2),both from the same seller, good price and after what youve done to the bike the badges won't be a prob. should be able to repaint the badges.

don't worry what the seller says, these are the 79 side-covers. If your lucky you may be able to get the paint matched or get a spectrum analysis done.

Thank you 5twins, so that's what's going on with the aluminum. I'll start hunting and reading those threads.

And thank you 650Skull for the lead. I'll see if I can score those. I would not have spotted those on my own. What should the side cover of this bike say?

I have bumped into the "will not fit the '79" several times on the internet. The '79 has some one off features huh.

The side covers 650skull linked to are correct or the 79 F.
The color code for the Cobalt Blue is already posted on old 650rider site (Thanks Kingwj).

For that nasty kick lever. Take it off and put the rusty part in a quart of vinegar for a couple of days. What you got to lose? If I'm full of shit it cost you $1.50 for vinegar. If I'm right you found a way that is a lot easier than wire brushing and will get in places a brush/rag can't.

If you haven't yet.
Re-torque head bolts.
Check the drive sprocket torque.

Something that most of us do and you'll want to do as well is to change out those rubber/metal washers under the four outside acorn nuts on top of the head. The rubber is too soft and won't let the acorn nuts hold their torque. Leaking head gaskets are the result. Change to a copper or brass washer .....

ButtonHeads.jpg

Those outside studs flow oil so a seal washer is needed. As I said, the rubber is too soft, it seals of course, but won't let the nut stay tight. Brass or copper is soft enough to seal but hard enough to let the nut hold it's torque. Also, up the torque value on the 8 acorn nuts to about 30 ft/lbs. Yamaha's spec of about 26 was too low.

Back in the day the lowly special was the preferred model. The reason the standard is rare is they didn't sell. The stronger aluminum mag type wheel were more desirable and tubeless tire friendly.

And thank you 650Skull for the lead. I'll see if I can score those. I would not have spotted those on my own. What should the side cover of this bike say?

I have bumped into the "will not fit the '79" several times on the internet. The '79 has some one off features huh.

3 models in 79, 1 Standard 79F, (yours). Side-covers from the 74 TX650A to 79 XS650F Standard models are the same shape and will fit your 79F, and 2 Specials, one with mags, 19"/16" and the other has alloy spooked wheels, 19"/16", different to the Standard, 19"/18".

Have a look at the ID thread stickied in the Garage section. Has all the different models related to the year.

Back in the day the lowly special was the preferred model. The reason the standard is rare is they didn't sell. The stronger aluminum mag type wheel were more desirable and tubeless tire friendly.

Back in 1976, I was looking to buy a new bike. Everyone that I worked with had spoke wheels on their bikes. I saw the 1976 XS500C, with its cast aluminum wheels, and decided that was what I wanted. Yes, they are stronger, maintenance free, and being tubeless, you could easily do a tire repair at the side of the road if needed.

I still prefer cast wheels, on my XS650, for the same reasons.

In 1978 the Special model was new, and the sales numbers quickly out paced the Standard model. Yamaha saw the trend and decided to end production of the Standard in North America. The 1979 Standard was a way to use up existing parts on hand. Interesting that a Standard model was still sold in Europe up to 1982.

Its not appropriate to say "lowly Special" or "plain jane Standard". Each model has its place in history. The Standard ended and the Special continued, mainly because of marketing trends at the time. Each model has its pluses and minuses.

For all of the lads that prefer Standard models, you should be feasting on the SR400. Spoke wheels, and kick starting only..................traditional styling..............wow!

My 79 Special ll was the only XS of ANY size in our local dealership back then. Small town Kentucky for ya. It was all they had, but it was dead sexy. So fortunate to own it some 35 years later and know where it's been it's whole life. Put 170 miles on it Sunday. Such a fun bike.

jd750ace,
I can relate to what you said about "Knowing where it's been it's whole life"
I bought my '77D new and have loved it for 37 years. It will never be for sale!

Enjoyed reading about another one-owner 650.

Back