Identification of this colour.

r3sc

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need to try and identify the blue colour that Yamaha used on the 73 TX650.

I need to try and find out if it has a paint code, if it’s a true metallic base with clear or if it’s a Candy colour with base, colour lacquer and then clear.

Can anyone help? Sadly I’ve had a little paint lift to one side of the fuel filler where fuel has been spilled over the years. The bike is on its original factory colour but I will at some point have to bite the bullet and consider getting it repainted.

Finally, does anyone know if the tank decals are available anywhere?

I’ve enclosed a photo of my TX for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Pete.
3FDB2805-01B2-45B7-85F5-0164DD72928E.jpeg

I remember seeing paint codes somewhere

perhaps that please check
https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/xs650-paint/

upload_2021-11-2_23-59-4.png

metallic flake blue

upload_2021-11-3_0-0-4.png

Having said that I had poor success with the right code a red special tank --the sun and age had changed the paint
Secondly Personally I feel that the original should be kept as long as possible making it original as long as possible
Furthermore there are electronic devices that held against the tank can match it getting the right color
there was someone here on the forum that got it done with success can have been the same color

I think the silver base coat on the 73s is a finer metalflake than was used on the 70-72s
The finest silver from HOK seemed to be just right compared head to head with OEM paint.

There is a company in Germany that is in business for Motorcycle paint
I have bought some touch up many years ago .But the tank was no longer in the stock color and had a dent
So that project is on the backburner
And since they are not out of business some solution perhaps can be Found.
I cannot say if it is good or bad or expensive but they do sell for bike specific code

https://www.lackstift-shop.de/RH-Motorradlacke_1

Back