IDENTIFYING CARBS- BS34 OR BS38??????????????

the-oz-slider

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK, |I know this has probably been done to death before but I cant find any links to the subject, so humour me please.......
I have a XS1-B that didnt have carvbs when I acquired it and I had a spare set from my last XS1 rebuild, but when i ordered a carb kit for the XS1 carbs [or so I thought] I dont think I got the correct kit and its raised the issue of whether my spare carbs are BS38 or BS34......
On the XS1 the carbs have a thin strip of stainless that operates the choke on the second crab, whereas the set of carbs I have has the lever on the left and the two carbs have two balance tube between them, one being the choke.......
So what else should I look for to identify the series, other than another set of carbs??
Al

pics attac
IMG_3322.JPG
hed

This is a quickee chart we cooked-up to help ID carbs.
Your thicker aluminum tops show them to be BS38s.

Carb ID4.jpg

Lowered floor (below the slide), single choke with interconnecting hose,
makes that a 74-75 carb...

yeeesss....with help from many people much smarter than me, I worked out that my carbs are indeedie 74-75 BS38's and I have a parts kit and will throw them on the bike this weekend..........
That's if I have time after working my [dirty word]1979 Honda CBX, or is it the Kawasaki H1?????
Its all fun and games that's for sure.............too many project, too little money and time.............

You have to be careful with those aftermarket carb kits. Many contain incorrect jet sizes and some have generic needles that are the wrong length. And by wrong, I mean they're really wrong, like 5mm different in length. That much plain won't work.

yes I already have much confusion about the needle length, as mine are way shorter than in our XS1........\
My kits are from Mikes [Canada Div.] and I thought they should have needles included but didn't so I have a bit more buying to do yet......

Back