kanaka

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hi all i have purchased a 1976 xs 650
between the instruments is a left and right turn indicator
a neutral indicator
and an oil light
and a head so my question is
the oil light is not connected to any thing is it meant to be ???
what is the light labeled head is that meant to light when the head light is on

thanks in advance for your help

hmm oil isn't from a 650 the 76 XS650 had a rear brake lining wear indicator. I think the 76XS500 had the oil light. Head is a period headlight bulb out indicator, with an automatic element switching circuit built into the harness.

hmm oil isn't from a 650 the 76 XS650 had a rear brake lining wear indicator. I think the 76XS500 had the oil light. Head is a period headlight bulb out indicator, with an automatic element switching circuit built into the harness.
thanks gary it is an australian deliver bike so i will just assume the oil light was never connected
so with the light that says HEAD can you tell me how i get some lol
thanks for your help

this is what your Gauges should look like..............well depending on how weather worn they are.
2z1 76C 1 3.jpg

Post some pics of the bike so we can identify and help..........we love pics..................never know what has been done to these bikes and importers and sellers don't much care what is original.

Gauges do fade and from 76-83 they are interchangeable. Speedo and Taco from a 76C installed on an 80SG
2z 76XSC-79SF.JPG

Last edited:
One time I was at a gas station and a kind of slow young guy came up and looked at the 80 top speed on my speedometer and said "I think ti will go faster than that. I think somebody put on a different speedometer." I said "Well, when it was made there was a nationwide 55 mph speed limit on every road. See how the 55 is red? Every speedometer had a red 55 and they all only went to 80, including cars." He looked at me again and said "I think ti will go faster than that. I think somebody put on a different speedometer."

One time I was at a gas station and a kind of slow young guy came up and looked at the 80 top speed on my speedometer and said "I think ti will go faster than that. I think somebody put on a different speedometer." I said "Well, when it was made there was a nationwide 55 mph speed limit on every road. See how the 55 is red? Every speedometer had a red 55 and they all only went to 80, including cars." He looked at me again and said "I think ti will go faster than that. I think somebody put on a different speedometer."
Yup had a few look at speedo and make that comment. KZ1300 had a 150MPH speedo in 79 all the rest had 85 top. Guys would pay big bux for a 79 speedo, probably still true. Some of he 650 guys :rolleyes: aren't beyond swapping the speedo for one that goes higher from a bigger Yammie.
That 76 was a one year gauge cluster and can be hard to find.

I wouldn't mind breaking out my single turn signal indicator into two, if there was a good-looking way to do it.

Back