idles fine, but......

brilamb2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok first i wana say thanks for a great site, and ive gotten a lot of useful info off here, butnow im stumped..... used search, but to no avail. i got my 81 running great after finally completely rewiring it, and using the reg/rec conversion. had been riding it for about twenty minutes, and then it just lost all power. When i would try to give it any throttle, it would just pop out the exhaust, and puff a mist of fuel out the carb. I went through the carbs about 10 times now, and everything is exactly as recommended in the carb guide. so i tried to see if leaning ot out on the dead cylinder method would help, bt no luck.cant get it to run on one cylinder, or both. so now my question is can the tci unit go bad, and only allow it to idle kinda low, but smooth, and pop at any throttle at all? Or should i start looking elsewhere?

TCI's have a single coil (open ended). This coil has 2 spark plug wires, one to each plug. Each time the coil is triggered both plugs fire. So, if one cylinder is running, then it follows that the spark plug in the dead cylinder is also trying to fire.

what i meant by dead cyl was unplugging one and putting a non mounted plug in it and grounding it to the block so i can adjust each cyl individually. When i got it there was a bad chassos ground, and i have since rewired it completely, and im thinking it might be a problem on the tci board. has anybody else had ths prob?

ya the problem was with both cyl, and i did figure it out. I said wtf, its 70's and 80's technology, and like an old tv, give it a good rap on the side, lol. it actually worked. So it looks like i need a new tci unit, I am going to tear it apart and check for any solder joints to be broke loose, pushing on the center makes it run right, so at least i now know where to start and what to source from teh local salvage.

Good man--you followed the Golden Rule of troubleshooting: "Ignition First" (or as I was repeatedly taught, sometimes with dire threats, on my first part-time job turning wrenches, "Ignition first, you dumbass!") Congrats!

Back