If cost wasn't a problem?

Cost has not been a problem, and I have already done the required things to bring the bike up to a very reliable level.
Ignition..................Pamco with E-advancer
Ignition coil..............Accel
Modern rectifier
NOS automotive solid state regulator
Replace oil stariner with a real paper oil filter
Brembo 4 piston brake calipers front and rear
Analog voltmeter
LED taillight
Tapered steering bearings
Original fuse panel tossed in garbage and automotive "blade" fuse holders used.

Everyone claims that the swing arm bushing must be replaced, but I've found no reason to do so. I grease mine and it works just fine.

I wouldn't spend a penny (nickel actually, as Canada stopped using the penny) on such things as PMA, larger displacement cylinders or re-phasing of the engine, as they would add no value for me.

If cost wasn't a problem then I'd be riding a Vincent Black Lightning.

If I could only spend the money on the XS then it wouldn't be much different than I have it now, just closer to done.

Nickel plated Rickman Metisse frame, a lightweight, stiffer front fork with modern internals (RWU of course) alloy tank and fenders(mudguards), carbon fiber side covers, seat pan and headlight shell, MotoGadget fuse/relay box, titanium headpipes and mufflers, styled like Norton Commando peashooters, all titanium fasteners. And assembled by Richard Pollock (Mule motorcycles) of course. In short, cosmetically close to stock, just much lighter, better handling and brakes.

I have already done a lot of upgrades, but the stock frame, fork and swing arm, as well as tank seat etc. is just bloody heavy.......

if cost wasn't a problem it'ed be a tricked out bsa bobber/chopper lol,not realy but my builds would have more polished alum done by someone other than me lol,but I'ed build the same bikes I'ed do just a little faster.

Last edited:
If cost wasn't the problem, I'd finish the 1981 XS650 Special in record time, because it needs a lot yet to finish and I buy parts as I have money and then I'd be looking for an early 70's bike in mint condition to buy.

My own collection of Moto GP unobtainium from the 70's and 80's, a few Indians, Vincents, a flock of Ducs, and a few tons of titanium AND aluminum scrap chunks/sheets, for my mach shop. Oh and maybe an XS1 with a vin # close to 003.

Bigger shop, I can ALWAYS use a bigger collectible receptacle:thumbsup:

I would probably have someone else restore my bikes. But what would be the fun of that!:shrug:

I would build an awesome garage with lots of TOOLS! Then I would build a serious flat tracker, then, a cafe, then, a.....well you get the picture.

Two more bikes to go with my bobber, one all original untouched early 70's and one fully done up cafe racer. This would create the ultimate trifecta of XS650's.

A clean restomodded 74....with a cases apart build. And a second motor being refurbished because I can. Then a 79 xs400 ...then a kawasaki versys I use for touring. Riding with my wife on her bmw across Canada Two years ago for our honeymoon for a month.

Wait....that is my life.

I'd like to add a triumph tiger or tr6c

Posted via Mobile

I'd buy some real space so that I could build it into a true shop...get all the tools/gear that I could ever need, and then hire the best mechanic to teach me how to build my engines from the ground up!

I'm confident with the things I can do...but i wouldn't take on a rebuild bottom/top end without some good guidance and the space to do it. once that's done, then the sky's the limit.

Back