New to this stuff🤔

1974yamahaxs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So now that Ill (hopefully) soon have my bike running and ridable I'll be needing riding gear... What would you guys say is the best quality cost effective gear on the market... What are common issues with said gear?🤔 And what gear do I need? (Obviously helmet and gloves but any other stuff?)

Im lucky so far that I havent had to test the following ideas.
I have read/been told that in an accident the first thing you put down to protect yourself are your hands (natural reaction) - so Gloves and that your footwear gets ripped off (somehow) - so proper boots without laces because apparently the laces get worn away (boots come off) and also a loop in the lace gets caught in one of your foot pedals and when you stop and try to put your foot down - hello. Ive actually followed a rider whose lace was looped around his pedal and it did end in tears.
From my own experience - full face helmet because then I can concentrate on all the important things about riding instead of my frozen lips and forehead - and of course it stops your chin from being ground away - exactly the same for custom made ear plugs - I enjoy the riding more instead of the distraction of wind noise and of course Tinitus (24 hour sirens in your ears).
You will get lots of comments - hope these couple help you.
Regards Ray.

Im lucky so far that I havent had to test the following ideas.
I have read/been told that in an accident the first thing you put down to protect yourself are your hands (natural reaction) - so Gloves and that your footwear gets ripped off (somehow) - so proper boots without laces because apparently the laces get worn away (boots come off) and also a loop in the lace gets caught in one of your foot pedals and when you stop and try to put your foot down - hello. Ive actually followed a rider whose lace was looped around his pedal and it did end in tears.
From my own experience - full face helmet because then I can concentrate on all the important things about riding instead of my frozen lips and forehead - and of course it stops your chin from being ground away - exactly the same for custom made ear plugs - I enjoy the riding more instead of the distraction of wind noise and of course Tinitus (24 hour sirens in your ears).
You will get lots of comments - hope these couple help you.
Regards Ray.
Thank you! This was a lot of stuff I didn't have to go through the trial and errors of figuring out😪😂👍 that's always the worst part of being a newbie...

Good boots, pants with Kevlar protection on knees and hip, jacket with same on elbow, shoulder and back. I use Rukka, it’s air mesh for a hot day and with the liner in it’s also waterproof - eliminating the need of rain gear. This is not the cheapest option, however there are similar products for less money.

You can pend a lot of money buying the best. Can spend a lot less and till get good quality gear.

Climate dictates your gear.

Good foot-ware that covers the ankle and part way up the leg. I use work boots but they arn't waterproof

victwo_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Get a full faced helmet

Helmets are different shapes, round, ovel and sometimes a medium in one manufacture will b a small in another.

Personally i like to try them on in a shop, before i buy, then i know if it is going to fit properly. Being a novice i would recommend doing it this way and take someone with you who rides so the shop assistant doesn't confuse you. When you are looking for a helmet do an online review, of the model, at the time.
HJC are a mid to high priced popular helmet of good quality.

Get a good pair of gloves, 2 pair if you live in an area that get warm and cold. Knuckle and palm slide protection.

Jackets need to have protection in them. Again a medium priced jacket will do the job although often the back armour on then isn't top quality but it can b bought. A good quality leather jacket with extra protection would be the way i would recommend. Denier Jackets with liners do not offer the same protection and they come in different densities with extra protection in areas.

Aussie Dollars
I bought this mid range price. but still to hot for the tropics even with all the vents open. Ok when moving but shit in town traffic. Winter time not so bad
https://www.motodry.com.au/product/rallye-2-jacket-all-year/
for an extra $100 i could have bought this with extra protection.
https://www.motodry.com.au/product/advent-tour-trekker-jacket/
gloves i bought. They are good in the tropic with good protection
https://www.motodry.com.au/product/advent-tour/

Pants??? depend on the image you want to have. Kevlar slide Jeans are supposed to b good and some have knee and thigh protection. or again get a set of pants with protection and they usually have liners for wet and cold.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. You can spend a fortune for piece of mind but being budget friendly without being cheap will afford you good protection. Again do reviews on the gear your looking at

For gloves, I like deerskin. It's stronger than cowhide, and softer too. I usually get deerskin work gloves, much cheaper than actual motorcycle specific gloves.

What it all comes down to as well is how much do you care about your safety. A $100 helmet may be legal but it’s not going to do the job. I don’t buy the most expensive but I did buy one that I have confidence in should it ever be needed.

I definitely second the suggestion of trying a helmet before buying. I have owned Bell, Arai and Shoei helmets over the years. Last helmet I bought two years ago, the Shoei fitted by far the best. Time before that it was Arai. Unfortunately, the Shoei was the most expensive option. But that doesn't really matter so much. Helmet isn't a great choice to save money on.

I went with some of the high end clothing from Rukka, but it comes with a 6 year warranty ( pants and jackets), my previous set lasted 15 years before I started to feel damp in the joints when driving in heavy rain or constant drizzle, divide the cost with 15 it comes down to a pretty manageable amount per year. I use Schubert C3 helmet, but now I see other brands that have the flip-up front, one model even allow you to swing it and lock it on the back, I like the open face when city hopping or not going to fast, otherwise full face for me.

Well fellas, I hear y'all... and am astonished. So?
I first crashed bike maybe 1962, over the years a few more, with some lingering injuries. Totaled an Oldsmobile with a 650BSA, stuff. Briefly I bought into the propaganda and the helmet stuff, until a wasp flew in and I discovered that pounding on the beanie at 80 MPH eventually killed the insect, albeit with a high speed wobble. When? 1973? After that I did some calculations and discovered that what mattered was luck, and paying attention, experience, judgement, and reasonable prudence. Sobriety seemed almost irrelevant. Then Bell and the corrupt Pols made the law here...I have seen a picture of them "high-5 ing" when degubner signed their profitable bill into law. Calculation suggests a very light beanie and some eye protection is about the best compromise. Snoopy hat, more or less. Never mind goggles, they make you 1/2 blind. Use proper eyewear with good side vision. The mass of the beanie reduces your ability and increases your liability after about 6 MPH. I calculate (using the tables for hanging drops) and I conclude it's a wash...and a bit of a racket - the beanie business, like business generally, is about the money, not about you. But by all means, indulge in the belief... Religion is a great comfort, they tell me. "spensive hat is like a Papal Indulgence in my book. The more the hat costs and the better it feels the safer you will imagine yourself to be... And you will probably survive. In other - I often wish I had worn a 1/2 shell on knee back in '76...hit a patch of freshly spill'd gaso in hairpin switchback...nice bang, pretty fire! FU'd ankle and torn internal "cables", pretty bone. The ankle'd a been fine 'cept for the heavy boot. Shoulda worn sneakers. But the real danger was the time a particular fella bombed the bike shop...killed a 16 year old kid. Maybe if he's been wearing a helmet..naw...blown to bits. (the desperado perp is down for life. When the crime was solved the jerk was already down, in da joint.) Motorcycles are actually pretty safe. Otherwise I'd be dead. FWIW my kid, (he's 50!) tells me that at his university town I would get arrested or ticketed pretty quickly. I cannot imagine why he lives there... kids!

OP, If you are a noob study MC safety and there are lots of videos you can watch and mentally learn from. You have to watch/read alot (and get opinions here) in order to form your own opinion and beliefs. (well, that's my opinion). I can't say this enough. Practice, Practice Practice your skills. Emergency stopping, Emergency swerving, slow speed turns etc. I have collected various safety gear either purchased or given to me. Leather jacket, stretchy under shirt thing w/ armor built into it, Vest, summer pants w/ padding/armor, Winter pants with padding/armor. etc.
I like being able to turn/open ventilation, be it helmet or jacket or pants.
best safety equipment is the muscle between your ears. That comes from practice and your riding habits.

I will put in another perspective
There is also the enjoyment of the activity
I have seen people buying racing overalls a $ 800 that you cannot walk in and are to hot if you stop
So if you are going for short rides in warm climate the problem is not to find a safety setup that works
The problem is to find one that you don't get a heatstroke in. Sweat running inside down your legs
I live far up north .so it must be a much bigger problem for others

I have used leather jackets pretty much 95 % of the time I have Bib Braces in leather that i Use in colder climate
That has the advantage that the jacket can be taken off When stopping.
Long legs that dont blow up in the wind and
Have used High Military Boots
Leather gloves Full Face Helmet Scarf.

I ride a lot in Blue Jeans Sometimes Leather Jeans But again can be to warm at the Highway Cafe and Meet
Blue Jeans is not optimum from a safety perspective . But I do it . When I am out cruising.

To put it like this
If you are safety focused it is one setup
If you intend to have a Dynamic Sporty riding style it is one ..Open helmet wont work
Cruising back roads can opt for another For some open helmet works Not for me
I feel there is a compromise to be done
Safety gear takes the enjoyment out of it.
No safety gear increases the risk.

Driving style keeping distance to everything and oneself creating space
If one idiot is close to your back wheel I speed up creating a distance
If the idiot is still there i Pull to the side decreasing speed .. letting him pass
At times almost to a standstill
The same in front .. Big distance and keep a look 2 -3 -4 cars further on
And what is coming from the sides

I would recommend get the leather jacket ( here you can find used ones fine condition $ 20 - 30 ) boots gloves full face helmet scarf
Start riding get the feel for it ..and then after a while adjust spend more perhaps
Drive carefully test it out. In the beginning

I have all the gear but for short local rides, I'm in jeans and an open face helmet. A jacket of some sort always, along with gloves and boots that at least come above my ankles. I have the full face helmets as well but usually only wear them in colder weather and on longer rides. Lately, I've made the move to textile gear. It's so much lighter and more comfortable than leather, and my warmest jacket is actually a textile one. I also have the full mesh type for hot weather and it's great. Better protection than the denim I used to wear in hot weather.

For years I wore brown leather jackets of a more "European" style, not wanting the "biker" look of the black leather and the traditional leather jacket style. But I finally got over that, lol. I picked up a black leather traditional style jacket used and you know what? It's great !! There's a reason this style is so popular. It's very versatile, cool in summer with the large open V neck but warm if need be by folding the big lapels in and zipping it all the way up. And finally, I found it in textile. This is probably my favorite jacket now.

Well fellas, I hear y'all... and am astonished. So?
I first crashed bike maybe 1962, over the years a few more, with some lingering injuries. Totaled an Oldsmobile with a 650BSA, stuff. Briefly I bought into the propaganda and the helmet stuff, until a wasp flew in and I discovered that pounding on the beanie at 80 MPH eventually killed the insect, albeit with a high speed wobble. When? 1973? After that I did some calculations and discovered that what mattered was luck, and paying attention, experience, judgement, and reasonable prudence. Sobriety seemed almost irrelevant. Then Bell and the corrupt Pols made the law here...I have seen a picture of them "high-5 ing" when degubner signed their profitable bill into law. Calculation suggests a very light beanie and some eye protection is about the best compromise. Snoopy hat, more or less. Never mind goggles, they make you 1/2 blind. Use proper eyewear with good side vision. The mass of the beanie reduces your ability and increases your liability after about 6 MPH. I calculate (using the tables for hanging drops) and I conclude it's a wash...and a bit of a racket - the beanie business, like business generally, is about the money, not about you. But by all means, indulge in the belief... Religion is a great comfort, they tell me. "spensive hat is like a Papal Indulgence in my book. The more the hat costs and the better it feels the safer you will imagine yourself to be... And you will probably survive. In other - I often wish I had worn a 1/2 shell on knee back in '76...hit a patch of freshly spill'd gaso in hairpin switchback...nice bang, pretty fire! FU'd ankle and torn internal "cables", pretty bone. The ankle'd a been fine 'cept for the heavy boot. Shoulda worn sneakers. But the real danger was the time a particular fella bombed the bike shop...killed a 16 year old kid. Maybe if he's been wearing a helmet..naw...blown to bits. (the desperado perp is down for life. When the crime was solved the jerk was already down, in da joint.) Motorcycles are actually pretty safe. Otherwise I'd be dead. FWIW my kid, (he's 50!) tells me that at his university town I would get arrested or ticketed pretty quickly. I cannot imagine why he lives there... kids!
He makes a lot of sense, WELL at least this sentence " FWIW my kid, (he's 50!) tells me that at his university town I would get arrested or ticketed pretty quickly. His suggestions are as good as a girl we knew who used to say, if you crash tuck and roll. The key words are used to know

Back