ignition and advance orings

340frontporch

Grandpa Butterfly
Reaction score
any one have problems with the orings for the backside of the advance and points housings being to big? got mine with the set of gaskets from mikes xs and i'm not sure if i'm plumb retarded or what, but they're a solid quarter inch to a half inch to large in diameter. :banghead:

Those might be the o-rings for the valve adjuster covers if there are four. If two they might be the ones for the bottom of the jugs.

no, the orings do very little, if anything. As long as you're using the rocker cover that matches your head, you should be fine with just the gaskets. If it's not matched, you'll leak regardless.

You need them both. That area is very prone to leaking. Make sure the head cover and head match well at the joint. If not them dress the edges down to make a good seal.
Sundie, 340 was not asking about the rocker covers.

so i'm getting two answers on my question. i do need the orings or i don't. they certainly don't fit where they are supposed to, but the gasket set didn't come with any other orings that would be remotely close to fitting....?!

I am using just the o-rings, no leaks.
Using just the o-ring lets the housing mount in just a bit closer. This lets the seal fit farther on the cam, helping it seal better.
This probably don't help much.
The right o-rings should have been in your set. Contact the seller and tell them about not having the right ones, they should send you the right o-rings.

You need them both. That area is very prone to leaking. Make sure the head cover and head match well at the joint. If not them dress the edges down to make a good seal.
Sundie, 340 was not asking about the rocker covers.

If the heads do not line up properly in any way then in all probability they are not matching no's

Each head was assembled before they were drilled and milled and are number specific.

See a lot of heads split up and sold on fleecebay

the rocker cover matches up perfectly... the orings jsut arent' working out... too large in diameter to fit where they are needed, only thing i can think is that i'm putting them in the wrong recess... i'll take pictures later

Back