Ignition and other issues rewiring

The Riverbug

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for info on some wiring// I have all the specs but was wondering a couple things abot the ignition.

Attachments

• DSC01667.JPG
    DSC01667.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC01668.jpg
    DSC01668.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC01669.JPG
    DSC01669.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC01671.JPG
    DSC01671.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC01670.JPG
    DSC01670.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Be advised, I'm doing this from memory, seek a second opinion.

Looking at your first picture, the orange and brown wires are from what looks to be your left coil, as you sit on the bike. Looking at your third picture, what you're thinking is the stop switch wires, are from the condensers, located in the mount bracket above the coils. The wires in your last picture come from the points plate, orange left, gray right. Referring to your second picture, the wiring coming from your harness, you have double plug orange and gray wires and single plug orange and gray wires and pair of red and white wires, plus a ground wire. Connect one condenser wire and the orange wire from the points plate into the double orange connector. Connect the brown wire from the left coil to the red/white wire. Connect the orange wire from the left coil to single orange harness wire. Do the same thing for the right coil, its just gray instead of orange, and you'll have to imagine the orange wire on the right coil is actually gray. The ground wire from the harness can be attached to one of the coil mounting bolts.

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will chime in with either confirmation, or other ideas.

Welcome Riverbug, The front stop switch, Brake light switch? One wire is brown, power in, the other is yellow, power out.
The wiring varied over the years and not knowing your bikes year and mods makes it harder to help you.
Some people put the bike info in the signature and it's there on every post.
I live a few miles north of you, Just west of Earlville. If you need a second set of eye's just ask.
Leo

Looking at your first picture, the orange and brown wires are from what looks to be your left coil, as you sit on the bike. Looking at your third picture, what you're thinking is the stop switch wires, are from the condensers, located in the mount bracket above the coils. The wires in your last picture come from the points plate, orange left, gray right. Referring to your second picture, the wiring coming from your harness, you have double plug orange and gray wires and single plug orange and gray wires and pair of red and white wires, plus a ground wire. Connect one condenser wire and the orange wire from the points plate into the double orange connector. Connect the brown wire from the left coil to the red/white wire. Connect the orange wire from the left coil to single orange harness wire. Do the same thing for the right coil, its just gray instead of orange, and you'll have to imagine the orange wire on the right coil is actually gray. The ground wire from the harness can be attached to one of the coil mounting bolts.

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will chime in with either confirmation, or other ideas.

I will be doing the wiring tonight thank you !!! I have been hammering away this bike all summer and would like to get the girl going..

HAven't done it yet but makes sence from all specs i've been checking. Like a woman they always are filled with hope,, have enough skeletons to piss you off, but will never make you feel better. Heres to hope bro.....

Welcome Riverbug, The front stop switch, Brake light switch? One wire is brown, power in, the other is yellow, power out.
The wiring varied over the years and not knowing your bikes year and mods makes it harder to help you.
Some people put the bike info in the signature and it's there on every post.
I live a few miles north of you, Just west of Earlville. If you need a second set of eye's just ask.
Leo

Might have to take you up on that. It all lined up as the previous poster said. Now I have to get all the little stuff done (adjust brakes, add oil, add gas etc.) I know Lebanon pretty well. Gone up on the lake a few times. Thanks for the help!

Back