Ignition & Charging Best options

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
I have found my battery won't charge. So I am thinking I might as well update the electrics.

New Electric ignition for a 1974 model:

I have been told the Boyer Bransen is the best system but at $340 Aussie plus $15 Delivery. Although I can import from the UK for $209 + $25 post. I think Pamco Pete might be just as good!

I want to do Hugh's Banshee mod so the ignition must suit.

Is the Pamco Ultimate High Output Ignition System + Advance necessary?
Would you get the advance or just the Pamco? Why?

Is there cheaper coil options on the market readily available?

Can you buy from Pete direct or do you have to go via Mikes?

I know there are a lot of threads on this already and to be honest the more I read them the more I get confused lol

You can buy from pete, the pamco requires the advancer mechanism. If you go Boyer you need to run a battery with the pma. The coil is a preference thing, I'm runnIng the basic coil and am plenty happy with it. If you buy from pete he only offers the ignition - no coil.

Like Pa23 said,

I personally like the Pamco more than the Boyer... There are no magic black boxes to hide, and wiring is a snap... You have to have the advance unit and such for the pamco, but if you are putting this on a 74', you already have those parts...

The Boyer will need more power at startup, so with the PMA you will still need a small battery to get going, whereas the Pamco will fire even down to 6 volts or so, and will fire right up with the PMA even batteryless...

Back