Ignition coils

Purplezinger

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Early 650's have some of the weakest ignition coils ever manufactured. They really didn't improved much until the TCI models. If you have a points ignition with factory coils you will have problems adjusting the carbs. You will have idle, midrange and high speed problems that appear to be carburettor issues. It's not, it's the coils. That said, back in the day, the hot trick ignition setup was 2 K-Mart brand,
non resistor, 12 Volt coils for a Chevy pickup. You also used a single ceramic ignition resistor and 2 GM ignition condensers. The one and only down side was size, the Chevy coils will not fit the stock location.
Most installations had the coils hose clamped to the front down tubes. Some were hidden under the seat. All of the ones I did were mounded on the down tubes. I don't see this mod anymore but it is still an excellent choice for a points ignition on a budget. As they say "You go from a wet match to God's own lightning".

I think I recall the same thing said about Norton Commando's too. Same set up with the car coils and resisters and caps.

Weak maybe but not the weakest. KZ305 coils might hold that honor, a minute or two not running with the ignition on and a little mushroom cloud signaled their departure to the hereafter. Putting XS650 coils on it cured the the problem! I was surprised how strong of a spark my stock coiled 77 has. Blue fat & healthy. I have seen several bad stock condensers.

"You go from a wet match to God's own lightning"

sounds great! i have a points bike waiting to go together i will have to go with it.
thanks PZ

I'm running a pair of Chevy coils with built-in resistance and stock points and condensor on my 75 XS650. I hid them under a homemade chin spoiler. Starts on one kick, most every time. Cost $15.00 new

Back