Ignition: Dual lead or two replica coils

cmattina1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, i am quite a bit closer to having my xs back on the road, now just a matter of dealing with the wiring differences between the old pamco ignition, and the "new" points iginition...

my 78 special had a pamco installed, and the previous owner had put in mikes dual lead coil, Part #17-6822 for that.

Am I able to just leave that in for the "new" '75 motor i just mounted, with points? Or Will i need to go back and buy two replica coils? Part #17-6805

I am thinking it may make the most sense to take the pamco out of the 78 motor and put it into the new motor. But was leaning away from that if I would be able to just set the points and go... though, as I said, if I have mess around with the coils, i might as well mess around and put the pamco in, especially if it is already set up for it.... there are lots of instructions on putting a pamco in, very few on taking one out... Is it possible to set timing on a pamco without a timing strobe light??

Last edited:
cmattina1,

You can install the PAMCO with the recommended initial plate position and it will be in the ball park and not likely to exceed the maximum advance. However, i do recommend that you strobe it when you can and use 93 Octane fuel to be on the safe side.

Here is the recommended starting position for the PAMCO plate:

pcboard11.jpg

Its a no brainer, guy....................use the Pamco and the 17-6822 coil.

Why would you consider buying replica coils that will give weak spark, plus have to fiddle around with points?

Borrow or buy a timing light..................essential piece of eguipment.

Charlie the points system is OK as long as you use something other than the original Yamaha coils. But, if you already have a Pamco system use it.

i hear ya. dumbly, as per usual, i was thinking it would be a hassle to get the pamco in... wow. i am still in awe ar how easy it was. thanks pete for providing us with thay

Back