Ignition poles

phillycyclocross

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I know little to nothing about electricity.

So I bought my XS, which has a Boyer Branson ignition, recently and the previous owner(s) wired this thing so that to turn it on you have to connect one of the plugs (which connects the circuits and turns the bike on) and then you hit the starter button (which is always hot).

Obviously this is bad and needs changed. I'd like to add a actual ignition switch and a kill switch. My question is what pole ignition switch do I need? I have no idea if I need a 4 or a 5 or a 6. I don't have any accessories I'm running. No turn signals, horn, speedo. The only lights are the headlight, brake, and plate light.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 44
I use a two pole switch for the main switch. On/off, this controls the power from the battery to the rest of the bike.
After the main switch an on/off switch for the ignition.
I have not used a Boyer so the actual wiring a can't say how to do.
If you look in the XS650 TECH section you will find a listing titled "Some electrical diagrams." Find one that has all the things you are running and use it to rewire your bike.
I like this one. It starts with the basic points with separate reg and rec. It has upgrades in boxes, just swap boxes for the upgrades you are using. I think you can just wire in the Boyer and coil after the "kill " switch.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 67
Thanks Leo. I was thinking of maybe a 3-pole for off, accs, on?

My harley has a 6 pole although I have no idea why (again, not the most educated when it comes to electronics).

Back